Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soft spots are fixed
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tis a sad day when ya got to put the boat away for the winter. I took off the Tramp , the Rudders, Took all the rigging off the Mast and coiled it up and tied it off in neat packages. Will work on taping the whole boat once I finish some repairs and do a little hull buffing.

As for the repairs, here is the problem. I searched the forum to see if I could find the answer to this one-Maybe I missed it. I did have a couple small soft spots on the Port side. One was about 6” x 3” about 18” back from the bow and the other was about a 6” circle about 18” in front of the rear pylon. Image
http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... before.jpg

I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about drilling holes in my boat. It only took me about 2 weeks to screw up the courage to do it, but I remember someone saying in one of the post about fixing soft spots that its not rocket science. It’s just a fiberglass boat. Just do it.

OK I did it. Every thing worked like a charm. I could feel the bit go thru the top layer of glass into the foam just like everybody said it would. The Git-Rot worked great and oozed out the air hole exactly as described. The soft spots are history.
http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... during.jpg

Thanks again to everyone that has shared their experiences about fixing their boats. You all are a Fantastic source of Knowledge.

Now the question I have is what to fill the small depressions left at the holes with and what to do about re-finishing the gel coat to give it a nice look. Or is this a fill with bondo and re-gelcoat type deal?

http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... nafter.jpg
Any advice will be great!!

Making Wake on A No Wake Lake!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Soft spots are fixed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I'd sand down all that cracked up gelcoat, level it out with a polyester filler (Bondo is one) and shoot it with some gel.

Don't try to do this on the non-skid area. Tape it off so you don't disturb the non-skid pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, Thank you for the swift response MBounds.

Here is other area that was repaired with Git-Rot in the non skid area . Any ideas on this one?
I'm not a racer Just an old dude that likes to go fast on the water. Not to concerned about being street legal.

http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... onskid.jpg

Making Wake on A No Wake Lake!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:09 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

For those, I'd clean the area up as well as I could with acentone, then use a Dremel tool to rough up the epoxy "dots" without messing with the non-skid too much. Then using a toothpick, put a little dab of slightly thickened gel-coat on each one. Should be thick enough not to run, but thin enough to settle down into the hole and self level. Spray PVA over the area when you're done to help the gel cure hard. Won't be perfect, but you'll retain 99% of the non-skid and it'll be all white.