Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie newbie question...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a life-long sailer, but a soon to be new Hobie Cat owner. I'm picking up a well used 16, without sails or rudders, and a much nicer condition 14 this week. The current owner needs me to pick them both up before friday and I'm weighing options on how to pick up two with one trailor.

1. I could try to stack the 14 onto of the 16. Is that an viable option or an unsafe pain in the neck?

2. I could disassemble the 16, which would make it easier to load. Does the tramp. come off the hulls easily? If so, how? I think the hulls may leak and could have delamination problems so they are going to need work.

3. My last option is to make two trips. 4 hour round trip for each. If I do this, what is the distance differential between the 14 & 16 hulls, assuming I'll have to adjust the trailor for each. I can't find that is the specs anywhere.

Any suggestions or comments, from an apparent knowledgeable group, would be appreciated. (I've scanned all the previous posts before I submitted this, and already pick up a few good ideas)

thanks,

-jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stack 'em. Put two 2x6x8's across the frame of the 16 and tie them to the pylons, then stack the 14 on top of the 2x6s and tie the H14 pylons down to the H16 pylons. Make sure it's snug!

I've seen pics of a triple-stack before too. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. I ended up makeing two trips.

When I got got down to see them, the 16 was in the water and sitting a little low. After getting it out and draining both hulls, it was still on the heavy side. The trailer that they had, which had more rust that not, only had a 900lb GVW. I questioned whether it would even make the trip with the 16 itself!

After looking the 16 over, it doesn't appear to be cost effective to repair. Numerous hull damages, not limited to the 8" crack on one hull, a mast that is bent in two places and dented, and a stress crack in one of the cast aluminum tramp. connecting pieces.

The H14 however, appears to be a '78 (if I read the number correctly) and in fairly decent shape. Minor hull repairs needed but no apparent leaks, several loose rivets, and the stays are showing some discoloration, but other than that and a coat of paint, it seems in good shape.

I can't wait to get her out on the water!

-jeff

Post subject: carrying heavy load
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know you already picked up the boats, but just to show you, that you don't need a trailer, here's a couple of pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/521302/4

I like to test the limits of my roof rack, and luckily didn't need to go too far. Although it held fine. Didn't move at all!

Good luck to you.

'7? Hobie 14