Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Several of the original batten pocket protectors have "popped" at least one rivet. I'm tired of waiting on parts via the mail, so instead of watching TV, here's my plan. :idea: I'm thinking of carefully drilling out all four rivets and installing brass hardware by heating the nuts and setting into the plastic.

Has anyone ever tried to salvage the originals? Any other thoughts or suggestions? :?:

Post subject: That works
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's pretty much how I did it, but without heating anything. It worked like a charm.

In retrospect however, they are only light aluminum rivets and probably just as easy to drill and replace with another aluminum rivet if you have a rivet tool - which you probably do if you own a Hobie. If you don't have a rivet tool, any light duty rivet tool will work for this. (For most other work on the boat however you need a heavy duty tool that can set fairly long stainless rivets).

good luck- necessity is the mother of invention.

-Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I replaced all of the batten pocket protectors on my jib and the main. The new protectors for the main utilize brass hardware with indentations that hold the nuts. As for the protectors for the jib, they have round holes (setup to receive rivets), but I opted to use brass hardware. I, like Stephen, did not heat the nuts...just used a little loctite on the screws. 3 years later, everything is still in place. If your plastic pocket protectors are not cracked, by all means I think that you can continue to use them with the new brass hardware.

1983 - H14
1985 - H16