Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I just found this forum last week, posted a question, and got an answer pronto. So I think I can return the favor here and offer you guys this idea.
I have built some pier fishing carts out of pvc pipe. Being on the gulf coast we want everything to be non-steel.
Anyway, I found a source for lawn mower turf tires 13 x 5.00-6 on orange plastic wheels. Not brittle shiney plastic but the dull tuff plastic. They have 3/4" bore flange plastic bushings. Price is good at $12 from Burdens Surplus Center

Now for bigger wheels for soft sand here is another alternative to the rollezee tires. ATV front sand tires on aluminum wheels. You can buy brand new pair on alum. wheels for $150 delivered via ebay. They are bald except for the center rib. They make smooth ones too but the are more rare.
You can always find 40+ pairs of new and used ones in ebay for less.
They are 22" x 8" on 10"dia. rims. Do an ebay search on "sand tire*" or "dune tire*". If you want even more flotation you could get a pair of used rear paddle tires and cut the paddles off to make them smooth.

Post subject: Homemade Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeff:

Here is a detailed description of how to make the wheels. IF you need more help, call me. Working on getting photos. :?:

I gave away the wheels so I don't have photos, but i am working on getting some. The wheels are surup (sp) container you can get from a local drink bottler, they are blue and about 2 feet around by 3 feet long. Find out who they sell there empties too. The conduit is aluminum about 2 to 2/12 inches around. You can get it at most electrical wholesaler places. They use to run wire thru. Get two connectors used to connect pipe together. They have screws at each end to hold the pipe. Cut these in halfand put one on eaxh side of wheel, you will use them to hold wheels in place. Get a hole saw the size of the pipe as you don't want it any bigger so water won't get in. Put cradles on it if round hulls, if not just use some old carpet and wire ties to hold it on and rope to pull them with. If you need any help figuring this out, call me :)

Doug Snell
281-326-2702

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeff:

Here is where I got the idea.

http://www.geocities.com/mec_coleman/tip13.htm

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finally found it. 8)

Just as I described. Work GRAET on soft and hard sand and VERY light.

Doug

Post subject: Link to Article
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeff:

Here is link to the article. I finally found it :D :D

Just don't put the holes he says in them. Put a bead of silicone around the conncetors and washers to keep out water and seals the ends after you put rope on. Maybe you can use some extanding foam on the ends? :?:

Let me know how it goes.

Doug
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a guy on the www.clcboats.com forum (these are plywood kayaks) that made a set of J cradles like this. He has more detail on how to do this kind of work.

I tried a search there and had no luck would you have the specific link?

Thanks

Post subject: Try these
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys:

Try these:

http://dgaleana2.proboards56.com/index. ... 1143785090

Doug

Post subject: question for drgatsea
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hi, I was reading your description of how to make cat trax and had a question. Your method is really simple. Does the "pipe" simply go through the wheels without any bearings or bushings? How is the rolling resistance?

thanks for any more details you can offer.

Post subject: Ask Danny
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'll have to go on the site and ask Danny. He built them and would know.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Doug, is there a particular forum for finding people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks Doug,
somehow I missed your link above with pictures and instructions. Looks like a great way to save $300! thanks to you and Danny

Post subject: Try this
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go to site. Clcik reply at top on orange bar and follow directions, leave email address and he should get back to you.

Doug

Post subject: Link for plastic wheels
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a link that may help. Go to page 12, lower left corner.

I bought these wheels to roll out my aluminum boat lift. I slide an axle into a mount, slide a wheel on the axle and remove both once the lift is in place. A tad more money than other options but it may help in deciding.

http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/consu ... atalog.pdf

t-bone

Post subject: axle rotation?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am building the type of cat trax where you buy large plastic dock wheels and use electrical conduit as an axle, as described in this link:

I just bought the 26" wheels from NorthernTool and am about to buy the rest of the parts and put it together this weekend for a 16. Cost me $155 to get them out to Hawaii (bigger wheels and more shipping) but I'm convinced they'll be as good or better than tiger trax and still saving substantial cash.

I have a question for those who have built a set. Does the conduit axle rotate inside the wheels, or does the axle stay fixed in the wheels and instead rotates inside the noodles?

I am considering putting PVC sheaths around the conduit, outside of the wheels, and putting the noodle around the PVC. That would provide a second axis of rotation with the noodle staying fixed. Wondering if that is overkill. If anyone has any input, please offer. This forum sees to get continually visited more than the source above so I thought I'd try.

Either way, I'll post about the finished product when complete. Mahalo, John

Post subject: Axle & wheels
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John:

The design I built has the plastic wheels rotating around the 1" aluminum pipe. The axle in my case is fixed. Based on what you have said, I'm thinking the wheels would do the same, that being rotate around the conduit.

Maybe someone who has built the exact item you are will have a better answer for you. No matter, the end result using the wheels works really nice.

Good luck.

Tom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next