Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just bought a H16. It's an older boat I think. Two things I'm seeing that I'd like someone to comment on. The first is this. Where the pillars from the hulls go into the fittings for the frame, there is play. All four points. If you grab the boat and shake it, the whole thing shimmies. Is that right? should it be tight? The other thing is the previous owner put in a deck port for storage. He put it in the fore deck, about two feet forward of the forward frame. I just read in these forums that is not so good. How bad is it? ANY help would be greatly appreciated as i am not familiar with this stuff yet. thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

(1) The hulls and frame should be tight. No shimmie! No play! Quick fix-Tighten the lacing in the tramp very, very tight. If that doesn't solve your problem, then you have a larger project to look forward to, and I don't want to get into that right now.
(2) The deck port. Don't worry about that! It's already there, so you can't really do anyhing about it. Check for soft spots around the port holes and the rest of the boat. If you have soft spots, that is a problem and should be repaired.
(3) Since you're obviously new to Hobie 16 sailing, you should try to locate a Hobie dealer or Fleet nearby; or find a Hobie regatta. These forums are very useful, but there's nothing better for a Newby than to have a knowledgable person by your side with your boat.
Tell us your location so Matt or Jeremy or ??? can point you in the right direction.
(4) Fix what needs to be fixed and replace what needs to be replaced in order to make your boat safe so you can get out on the water ASAP. Save the larger projects for late Fall or Winter.
Enjoy your boat and the best of luck to you.
Welcome aboard!
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am in west palm beach florida. The tramp is tight. Is there something that goes in as a shim between the pylons and the frame castings? It seems that the pylons are smaller than the castings. Maybe different sizes for different years? and mine are mixmatched. I dont know. Im an aircraft mechanic so maintenance is no big deal for me. If i know what needs to be done and what parts are suposed to be there, I can do it. If it should all be tight, Im gonna take each fitting apart and make some sort of spacer/filler and put it back together.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your tramp is tight and the hulls and frame are still loose, you probably need to use shims. In order to do this you'll have to take the boat apart.
Go to the upper right hand corner of this page where it says: " Faq Search Members User Control Panel " and click on Search. Then type in "shims". Some shim with epoxy; some with brass; some with aluminum....... I shimmed mine with Brass last year. If yours are miss-matched hulls and are really loose, I'd probably use epoxy resin with fiberglass cut up and mixed in with the resin. It'll be semi permanant, but very stiff. This is also a good time to do a bottom job if necessary. The boat is already apart. Clean the outside of your pylons and the insides of your corner castings. Check to be sure the vent tube is still inside of the foam in the two front corner castings.
Check the holes where the bolts hold the pylons and corner castings together. if elongated, repair as best you can - (resin and fiberglass???). There is no one "correct way" to do this, so be creative.
If you shim with resin and fiberglass, align hulls by measuring diagonally - port bow and starboard stern; starboard bow and port stern. Do this before resin sets up and hardens.
Visualize the whole project through BEFORE you start working to be certain you understand what you're going to do and you have all the necessary materials.
Get a friend, or son, or strong wife to help with the heavy lifting.
This isn't a difficult project. It's kinda fun. I did this last year and I'm not mechanically inclined.
Also, check for soft spots on your hulls (de-lamination), check your shrouds, forestay, trap wires, anchor bolts.... Repair and replace as needed.
DON"T seal the front corner castings/pylons completely!!! Remember that vent tube in the foam of the front corner castings??? The hulls have to breathe - expand and contract with warm and cold weather.
Remember-be creative and use good judgement. Your boat should be aligned, strong, light weight, and safe for you and your family and friends.
Good luck and enjoy your project!
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The acid test for tramp tightness is your side bars: Are they deflecting IN 1"-2"? If not it's loose. A lot of tramps look tight but that doesn't mean they are tight enough. This is about a 2 beer job, depending on how hot it is.....

First get a ratcheting strap or use your main sheet to pull the side bars together until they bend, then tighten your tramp, center and rear.

Soak the line you are going to use. (Depending on the material, the line often stretches when wet and it will get wet when sailing-surprise!!). Have a beer. A friend can help so make sure he/she has a beer too. Now to the serious stuff-

Attach line to frame (or pad-eye) and run DOWN through first grommet and UP through the second grommet.

One way is to used two vice grips. Pull the excess line by hand as snug as possible. Pull the line BACK TOWARD the first grommet. Pulling at an angle gives you leverage so don’t pull straight up out of the hole.

Clamp one vise-grip onto the line as close to the top of the second grommet as possible. This keeps the excess line above the hole.

The next step is almost one move: holding the vice grip clamped to the line, YANK the line tight (remember – at an angle towards the first grommet) and quickly clip the second vise-grip below the jaws of the first. This will lock the line tightly in place against the grommet. Actually shove the second vise-grip tightly below the jaws of the first vise-grip.

Remove the first vise-grip, lace line through the next TWO grommets and repeat the procedure. You will always be working above the trampoline where your beer is. As you go along, friction and leverage work more and more in your favor to keep the line tight.

Finish your beer and get another....

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the info. Looks like i got a project on my hands. I think im gonna shim and retighten the tramp. The tramp is an older vinyl piece. its hard and crisp, dont know if tightening it is possible but will try. id love to replace it but dont have the money right now. everything else looks sailable. i might try to sail it on sat just to give it a shakedown and see what else i notice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Try cutting up beverage cans and use as shimsbetween pylon and casting. Had success doing this when I raced 16's