Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

(I originally placed this post in the general H-16 forum and received no replies. I'll try here and see if I get some opinions.)

It's time to upgrade/replace my jib traveler cars. A friend jumped off over the front cross beam in order to touch the bottom as we were coming to a stop at the launch, and somehow snaggled the back of his life vest on the jib car, bending the stainless mechanism beyond repair. It was sort of funny. He was actually dragging, head first below the surface while he wiggled like a turtle, hanging from his backside. He freed himself and all was well.

I've been toying with the idea for a long time...an upgrade that is. Now I must-due to the mangled jib car. My cat is a cherry 1977. Is it worth putting an adjustable car system on while I'm at it? There have been times when friendly racing other Hobies that it gets sketchy going to the leeward side of things to fiddle with a jib traveler's location. I have to peal upwind a little to lessen the heal and send someone over to the other side. Plus I always have to ask my wife to do the deed. If it could be adjusted from the skippers location, I could just deal with it like I want to anyways. Some folks say it's only for racing and not to deal with it otherwise. It just looks so handy!

There basically seem to be two options out there for adjustable jib systems:

1. The expensive one has the swivel eye and clam cleat set up.
2. The cheaper one simply has a roller and a "pinch cleat" mounted side-by-side.

I suppose the more expensive version has the added bonus of adjustment from any position on the tramp. On the cheaper option, one has to set and pop from a particular angle at all times as the unit doesn't swivel.

Are there serious pros and cons to each? If I'm not involved in official class racing but want the added control of adjustable cars, will the cheaper (less moving parts) version suffice?

Secondly, regarding the actual Jib car/cleat. Should I just replace the mangled stainless factory unit or upgrade with a new system? Mine has the original stainless car/pulley(s)/clam cleat combo. The whole unit is part of the car. There is no return to a rotating stationary swivel eye and cleat near to the mast as in my buddies 1988 cat. His car only has a block(pulley) on it.

On my older 77, I believe there is a flat piece of plastic mounted to the front bar between the track and the mast. Perhaps this is a newer crossbar, ready made for the stationary control of the jib sheet(?)

I have been looking at the RONSTAN SWIVEL EYE WITH CAM CLEAT & STOP unit. Will this work in the older jib track? Where is the block located in this system?

To reiterate:
1. serious pros and cons of remote jib car control setups

2. what systems should I look at to replace/upgrade my 1977 jib car/block/cleat combo?

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

#1075 replaces the car and cleat

No "con" to the traveler systems, but the cost. Mostly for racing use. I'd use the #1073.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)