Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have just acquired an early 80's H16 and loved the two tacks I got before my first pitchpole (I asked a crewman take the helm and the rest was hilarious for us all). After that, one pontoon was taking on water. My whole family is chomping at the bit for me to get it fixed so they can try it!

The place where the water sprayed out when we got it to shore is where the pontoon deck meets the lower pontoon body along the port side beneath the tramp. I think the previous owner must have crushed that ridge against something then tried to patch it with epoxy without new fiberglass.

Question: Am I ok to just fiberglass all around and over that ridge to make an ugly, but effective barrier along that ridge? The boat is old enough that appearance isn't an issue, I just want to get it floating again this summer if possible.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021097&id=163100582&saved#!/photo.php?pid=30736029&id=163100582
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021097&id=163100582&saved#!/photo.php?pid=30736028&id=163100582

Please see above links for pics of the trouble. Thanks so much for your kind help.
AK - skipper of the rusty duck in North Dakota

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, so you scored the boat, disregard my advice in the other post. You're going to have to grind out all of that broken glass and repair it. Look on the forums and in the old Hobie Hotlines to figure it out. This repair is a bit tricky.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for both replies Jeremy. I guess I'll have to fight this one out with the fiberglass.

I'll keep looking for specifics on how to rebuild the ridge and find another pontoon if I can find a way to get it shipped up here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rustyduck wrote:
Thanks for both replies Jeremy. I guess I'll have to fight this one out with the fiberglass.

I'll keep looking for specifics on how to rebuild the ridge and find another pontoon if I can find a way to get it shipped up here.

The beauty is if it's glass it can be fixed!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:03 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

This is what happens when you leave your boat tied up to a dock - for a long time.

You can fix it ugly with layers of 2" fiberglass tape, wrapped around the edge after you've ground off all the loose stuff. Sand it smooth after the resin has gone off and brush blue gel coat over it. It won't be pretty, but it'll be functional. Can be done in an afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It can be rebuilt but it is a pain. If I was just trying to get it back in the water, I would grind off the loose stuff and the gel coat 5-6 inches from the bad parts.I would then try to inject epoxy between the delaminated layers. Then carefully start with a sheet of glass overlaying the damage by a couple of inches and carefully match it to the hull contours. Then do two more sheets a few inches larger then the last. Cover it with a plastic bag or I like use blue painters tape (premake a sheet larger than your patch by overlapping the edges of the tape and have it ready) and lay it over the patch as soon as you have it layed up and then smooth it from the center out and get the air pockets out.
After that just sand a little and gel coat it.
Now that I think about it, it would not hurt to install an inspection port back there and do a few layers of glass on the inside too. But that might be overkill.
Have fun!