Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dealer problems
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I have just about gone to my max. heart rate for the last time over this problem with Hobie dealers here in Michigan. Hey Matt listen up. When I am in need of parts or just a new shirt why do I still have to do the two step with the locals on the downward spin shops? This is 2006, can Hobie spell internet or online sales. When I needed a new set of H18 shrouds for my "ship" my responce was, 2 @ 6-8 weeks, 1@ in stock. So great I will take the in stock item, well look at these 28 + years old and USED but for a NEW price. I have now chossen to order from a Hobie Dealer in Fl. from now on. At least I trust him (st. petes) hint, hint.
Anyway this is quite a problem, at least with an old fart like me, I hope one day Hobie will review the aggreements with there dealers and make the correction required.
Just me venting sorry.
Harvey H16, H18 1979 :(

Post subject: Dealers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Harvey,

Sorry for the hassle. Some dealers are slow to start up in the winter.

We have reviewed the online sales issues several times over the years. We just don't have a system that works with the dealer format. This is the same as any auto dealer too. Since when have you been able to order direct from the Ford factory?

Most dealers accept email and phone orders. We will keep working to make this easier and faster. Your closest dealer can have parts shipped direct from us to you. We cannot do the same for a dealer outside your area. We ship same day on orders received before 12 (Ground) and 2 PM for air shipping.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone ever hear of drop-shipping ??? I do it all the time and I live right up the street from Oceanside. As a matter of fact, I'm as close to Oceanside as my dealer is. For about five bucks extra, why not ? Please Harvey, there's no longer a need to vent.

Happy Ordering,

David

Post subject: Re: Dealers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

mmiller wrote:
Your closest dealer can have parts shipped direct from us to you.

Yep, that is what I meant. Drop Shipping is available.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: problems
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys
All I need now is a address.
:shock:
Harvey 16,18 1979

Post subject: Dealers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup Harvy I'm in West MI as well and have been on back-order since last July for "Wing Parts". They got them in but lost them. ect, ordered new ones shipped to house?? haven't seen them yet. Tough to make a living selling just Hobie parts & boats but no one at the Hobie dealers in MI know jack about catamaran sailboats.

I have ordered from dealers in FL. & CA. that seems to work better, costly for overnight delivery but usually less that one week for normal delivery.

Perhaps that is why the "other guys" have more boats in MI, a dealer or dealers who supports the boats & regattas.

Sorry Matt, Cold here & Venting in MI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Harvey,

What address do you need ?

Post subject: problems
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey, DVL
Man do you have that right! It seems to me that the whole daysailing seen, at least in Michigan has gone by by. It's not just the Hobie parts problem, that's just one pot hole in my road, but it's a problem through out the water ways.
Where are the young sailers, where are the dealer support events, where are the events, and who outside our little world even knows whats goning on?
Boy I better change my med's, sorry about the venting.

I'll give an example:
I park my 18ft.(ship) on Traverse city EastBay beach during our summer season ( about two weekends :wink: ) and during the summer I am always happy and abit shocked to here from people on the beach that they have never sailed before, or wow can that boat(ship) go fast how do you do that? Or better yet what kind of boat is that?
I give people rides and they are at first a little scared but then they love it ( don't tell my insurance carrier) , my hope is that the will turn on to this sailing thing, or at least have some fun without fuel burning motors. well heres hoping.
It's not all about racing is it?

Harvey H16, H18 1979

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Harvey,

Dealer coverage? Hobie Cat has over 20 dealers within 500 Miles of Ann Arbor according to our dealer finder information.

Have you worked with Midwest Sailing? They are good and have been around for years.

Michigan is an anomaly is the catamaran World. There was a pretty strong showing for the other guys because they have "a" dealer who sells out of a garage and at minimal margins. I don't see that lasting as there aren't many "other" cats out there these days. They ship the majority of their product to Europe and don't really build anything for the general public. Just a few high end boats that are not selling well in the US.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)