Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm reassembling a Hobie-Europe 18SX that was in storage for some time. The boat has always been and will be sailed on salt water.

The assembly manual advises on using some silicone around the unthreaded bolt areas, but the hulls have residue of silicone sealant around the whole under surfaces of the beams.

My concerns are that:
a) the hulls will move relative to the beams due to the flexible interface, i.e. the boat won't be stiff;
b) water will be trapped in the hollow deck area between the saddles, with resultant corrosion. (the beams already have some pitting in these areas)

Would it be a better idea to fill the area with an epoxy filler (after applying copious amounts of release agent to the beam and hull)?

Any advice will be appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only place to put silicone would be in the holes in the deck flange where the crossbar mounting bolts pass through. This is to prevent water intrusion into the hull in the event that there are any voids in that area that could let water into the hull. I have never really found this to be necessary, but some people do it. If your hulls leak, it would be a good place to start.

As far as bedding the crossbar saddles in epoxy, some people have done this. Again, I really don't think it's necessary and the performance advantage is questionable. Just make sure your crossbar bolts and your trampoline are tight and accept that these boats have some flex. The H18 just doesn't have as beefy a crossbar as some of the more modern boats and the end castings and hull connection system all allow for some slop to develop.

If it were me, I'd just clean all that old silicone off the crossbar. Reassemble the boat (be sure to use anti-seize grease on all the crossbar bolts), and make the tramp good and tight. Re-tighten the bolts every time after the first couple sails and you should be good.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you! We followed your advice and assembled the boat, with a thin bead of Sikaflex on the saddles only. Even without the trampoline laced up she is stiffer than ever, leading me to think the silicone used previously contributed to some of the flex. A new set of Nylock nuts has probably helped too.

Best

W/