Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spray Gun Nozzles
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, guys, I'd apreciate some advice regarding spray guns and nozzles. I'm about 50% through with the prep work for spraying new gel on the bottom of my H20. I plan to spray Evercoat gel mixed 1:1 with Duratec High Gloss Additive. The guy at the supply store recommended a 2.0mm nozzel. Does this sound right to you experts? How about a 2.5mm or something in beween? I can't find any styreene here, so I'd like to find a nozzle or gun that I can use for spraying my mixture without thinning it. If I do need to thin, what do you guys think about Acetone? It's my understanding that it will make the work cloudy, but that's not relevant to me since I'm working on the bottom and the new gel will rarely be seen. I do, however, want a good slick finish. Image

Thanks,

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject: Re: Spray Gun Nozzles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I can't give you any advice about the size of the nozzle, but acetone as a thinner is less than optimal. It leaves the finish porous and with lots of orange peel.

You can get styrene from http://www.fiberglasssupply.com (http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product ... esins.html). Nasty stuff. Use in a very well ventilated area. Like outside.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used a 1.8mm nozzle last time I sprayed and it worked fine, I just had to thin my gelcoat a little more than recomended. I would think the 2mm or 2.5mm would work just fine.

I wouldn't use acetone to thin the mixture, buy some styrene and do it correctly.

I bought my supplys from http://www.uscomposites.com/products.html
They shipped fast and were inexpensive.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I couldn't find any styrene locally, but Mariner Sails found some in Houston and I should have it in two days - another example of what a conscientuous dealer can do for you, but that's another thread. I plan to mix the gel 1:1 with the Duratec High Gloss Additive, then thin with 10% styrene by volume. I found a 2mm gun locally. Does anyone know what affect the Duratec has on the gel - thinning, thickening, or neutral? Does this plan sound like it's on the right track?

Thanks,

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MVD wrote:
I couldn't find any styrene locally, but Mariner Sails found some in Houston and I should have it in two days - another example of what a conscientuous dealer can do for you, but that's another thread. I plan to mix the gel 1:1 with the Duratec High Gloss Additive, then thin with 10% styrene by volume. I found a 2mm gun locally. Does anyone know what affect the Duratec has on the gel - thinning, thickening, or neutral? Does this plan sound like it's on the right track?

Thanks,

The Duratec will thin the Gelcoat. Sounds like you have a good plan, its exactly what I did and the boat came out great.
FWIW I let the boat dry/harden for 12hrs in 75 degree controlled temp garage, then started sanding again, and didn't have any issues.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD