Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was reading through the forums yesterday and someone described a soft spot in their hull as "the beggining of the end". I recently purchesed an older H18 and have begun restoring it. I fixed a small oval soft spot (8" x 5") cenetered on the inside of one hull just before the rear crossbar. Can I expect more soft spots to develop? or are soft spots typically localized problems that dont propogate if repaired before they get to large?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't call an 8x5 small, but thats pretty common on H18s. if you fixed it correctly then it should hold up for a few more years. both of our 18s have the soft spots just fore of the rear bar between the grip stripes, aft of the dagger-board trunk. If you don't have them you'll get them one was repaired properly the first time and has been sailing for 8 yrs no problem, the other was done by a 16 yr old with 2part epoxy and as a result thereof it's been repaired 4 more times.
if the problem worsens (and at some point it will) you might have to take it to a boat shop and have it seriously overhauled, but It's fiberglass not crystal, you can fix it no matter what!