Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just picked up a set of EPO rudders and the inner side of each rudder is starting to show fibers, otherwise the rest of the rudders are in great shape. I've searched the forums and it seems that all I need to do is roll on a coat of epoxy and sand smooth. Is that it or do I need to add something to protect from the sun? Paint or wax? I'll sew up some covers but I'll prob only use them when the boat is sitting on trailer at home.

Will any epoxy work? It seems that all the epoxy I've ever used was very thick and probably wouldn't roll very well. Is there a certian type I need to use?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Item #
Medium Hardener Non-blushing, good ultraviolet stability, smooth finishes. This hardener cures in high humidity and has a superior secondary bond strength. it can be used for wet-out reinforcing fabrics, laminating, hardware bonding, spot filling, fairing, and structural tabbing. 15 min. pot life, 3 hour working time in 70 degrees F.
Each

G50-0405
1Pt MAS Medium Hardener
$20.82

Is this the correct epoxy? What is non-blushing?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:22 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

When epoxy cures, it develops an "amine blush" - a waxy surface coating that must be removed before further finishing.

While I have not tried it, there have been good reports of using something as simple as rattle-can appliance spray paint to refinish old EPO rudders. Certainly a lot easier than epoxy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I'll try the rattle can first and see how it works this season.... I was skeptical of the appliance paint becaase it's a one part paint, does it dry harder then regular rustoleum? I painted my crossbars with rustoleum profesional and they've already chipped up just moving them around my basement...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your rudders have exposed fibers, it would be best to coat the rudders in epoxy first in order to seal up the fibers. Then paint. I've had fine results using MAS epoxy products (including to re-furb older EPOs).

You've only listed the hardener - you'll also need to purchase the resin. You should get some graduated plastic mixing cups too because you have to mix the resin and hardener in a 2:1 proportion (verify that for whatever product you buy). So it's necessary to be able to measure accurately, otherwise you could have curing problems.

Roll or brush on the epoxy (it has much lower viscosity than you're typical Home Depot 5-minute epoxy). Then sand the surface smooth as necessary.

Unless you use a UV stabilized epoxy, it is a good idea to overcoat the rudders with paint or simply use rudder covers when the boat is being stored. Otherwise the rudder surface will degrade fairly quickly from sun exposure.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. Is there an advantage to adding the graphite powder or is it for color only? I figure if Im painting the rudder then there is no need for the powder.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Daredevil,

I don't know whether the graphite adds UV protection or not. However, I have seen EPOs redone by a NC sailor (username Genmar Star on this forum) who sails 16s and 18s and I can tell you that they look outstanding! I also think the color will hold up better than paint as the graphite is in the epoxy, making it more durable when the rudders hit bottom.

Hope that helps

2001 H16E (European Boat) Sail #108348 Cabo
1991 H14T
2006 Bravo (sold)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.

I decided to do the repair the correct way and bought west system epoxy, high density filler for fairing the trailing edge and graphite powder for color/abrasion. I'm gonna make up some UV rudder covers for when the boat is being stored.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The UV resistant epoxy
http://www.fibermaxcomposites.com/shop/-p-896.html
from Fibermax Composites has very good surfacing properties because it is mostly used to finish up custom surfboards. Some microballoons or glassbubbles filled epoxy may also help. See
http://www.fibermaxcomposites.com/shop/-c-58.html