Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1974 Hobie Monocat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the process of trading an inoperable motorcycle for an inoperable 1974 Hobie monocat. The top of the hull, the deck, has a crack on the passenger side (as if it is a car). The crack is centered lengthwise and about 6 to 8 feet long. Toward the middle the crack turns and runs about 1 foot widthwise. There is a hole where these two cracks meet and some of the polystyrene is missing. I was thinking that some of that "Great Stuff" expanding foam insulation sprayed in and faired would do a good job. Then I was thinking that I could cover the Great Stuff with some bondo. Lastly I was thinking that I would cover the cracks and bondoed part with 3 layers of 6 oz. fiberglass and epoxy. I am wondering if this is the easiest/best way to go about such a repair. I will try to get pictures up tonight. Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for the lack of proper sea talk.

Post subject: Re: 1974 Hobie Monocat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

jstanley2 wrote:
I am in the process of trading an inoperable motorcycle for an inoperable 1974 Hobie monocat. The top of the hull, the deck, has a crack on the passenger side (as if it is a car). The crack is centered lengthwise and about 6 to 8 feet long. Toward the middle the crack turns and runs about 1 foot widthwise. There is a hole where these two cracks meet and some of the polystyrene is missing. I was thinking that some of that "Great Stuff" expanding foam insulation sprayed in and faired would do a good job. Then I was thinking that I could cover the Great Stuff with some bondo. Lastly I was thinking that I would cover the cracks and bondoed part with 3 layers of 6 oz. fiberglass and epoxy. I am wondering if this is the easiest/best way to go about such a repair. I will try to get pictures up tonight. Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for the lack of proper sea talk.

The Hobie 12 MonoCat was made from vacuum-formed ABS with a polystyrene foam "core" that filled the entire boat.

Once water got in, it was almost impossible to get out. The boats became heavier and heavier until they were so waterlogged, they were hard to move around. That's one of the reasons they stopped making them after only a few years.

Great Stuff should not be used where it will get wet. It will soak up water worse than the original polystyrene.

Bondo will not stick to the ABS - it's too brittle. The only thing that would even come close to repairing that boat would be Gougeon Bros. G-Flex epoxy. Even that would take a lot of edge prep, and you'd need to dry the boat out as best you can beforehand.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a5RlcP-4JE[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dang that stuff is pretty impressive!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Want to see what the inside of the Monocat looks like? Check out the pics I put up in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37786