Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, we all know it is very important to have the tramp nice and tight. Many say you can't have it to tight..

So why not make the job easier...

Now... I bought a set of MIL spec grommets from Mcmaster Carr... 1/2 inch ID They are cheap.. 15 bucks for everything you need to install them but a hammer... including the grommets..

They are a bit less beefy than the stock hobie grommets in the tramp.. but I don't see it making that much of a difference for my purposes...

but still.. I would recommend the HOBIE kit... just because. I am not sure what they cost, but it isn't that expensive... Especially considering this will make life easier on your trampoline by spreading the load among twice the grommets...

So first... This grommet location I am adding so I can secure the front outboard corner of the tramp to the front crossbar.. I have seen this done before and wanted to try it.. It looks like it really helps when tightening down the tramp to keep that area properly positioned and tight along the side rail..

Also I will be adding a grommet in this position at the rear of the tramp... and then double grommeting the center lacing.. I am already doubled up across the back..

Then punch a hole with the supplied tool...

Then the first half of the grommet goes in through the top of the trampoline... This is fairly important because this if the more attractive side of the grommet. Also pictured is the bottom half the of pressing die.. When you begin to set the grommet it is very important the grommet is seated properly.

Next up the bottom half of the grommet..

Goes here..

And driven into place with this...

Like this..

And finally after about 2 minutes of grueling labor... (or less)

You end up with this..

A very simple project that will make a dramatic improvement in how easy it is to make that tramp nice and snug.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nicely illustrated. I did the same thing with my trampoline footstraps last spring after the 30-year-old stitching finally gave way. Simple fix but like you said, the pressing die needs to be perfectly alligned or you'll end up having to redo the grommet.