Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am about to perform a repair on a soft Hobie 16 deck with the epoxy injection method. I was wondering about how many square inches could be treated with 32 oz of West System 105 Epoxy resin and 7 oz of 206 hardener. I am trying to figure out if I should buy more before I begin.

Also, I am planning on installing a 5 inch port in both hulls. Should I do this before or after I do the epoxy injection? I have managed to come up with reasons for doing it either way!

Thanks!

Post subject: Delamination fix
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:16 am 
Site Admin

It doesn't take allot of resin. I can't say how much per square inch. The delamination is normally quite a thin area. If you force resin in, it can force the layers apart and require more resin. Usually the layers try to retain the original shape and will squeeze resin out the breather holes. 32 OZ? Likely a large area can be done. I usually use just a few ounces in a 1 x 1 foot delam area.

I would do the resin first and installation of the port second. Normally we don't recomend port installation in front of the beam though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

By "in front of the beam" I assume you mean forward of the trampoline, correct? Is this because it weakens the hulls? I wanted to add it so I could dry out the hulls between trips and because I had heard it strengthened the hulls by adding a stiffer material to the deck. Most of the online sites I have found detailing port installation showed them being installed about a foot forward of the forward pylons. Where should I install the ports?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also, I've seen some people on the forum advocating the use of West System fillers in the epoxy. Is this a good idea or would that inhibit the epoxy from forming a thin layer? They had suggested mixing the filler until the epoxy had the consistency of ketchup. I do know that fillers greatly strengthen the epoxy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

For drying, it can go anywhere. How about under the side bar? I don't believe that the port can strenghthen the deck. By cutting the hole, you would be breaking the bond between layers. And allowing a place for water to get in between.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: West system or Git Rot?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

The Git Rot is thick already, easy to mix and is somewhat flexible when hardened. The small kit has a squeeze bottle with a trimmable cone shaped tip that makes squirting into the area easy. If you want to use West System Epoxy... It will work well too, but you need thickners and an injection method.

The small Git Rot kit is a kit per batch thing. I think you can get larger volumes as well. I think I used two (4oz.) kits for an entire bow area on a 14 and it was leaking out all over the place! One kit will do most small areas.

Here is a link to the repair FAQ on delaminations:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=24

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: De Lamination
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used the West Systems on my Hobie 16 and it worked beautifully. I bought a quart with hardener and the "fluff" to thicken it. I was able to do an area two and a half feet long by the width of each hual and still had some left over. When I was done I installed 5" ports in each hull about a foot forward of the tramp. I sail lake superior all the time and my 30 year old boat will take on any one. :lol:

Post subject: Delamination
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am ready to do a repair on my delaminated hull. My local West System dealer is clueless about the process. I do have a West Systems catalog and would appreciate any guidance anyone can give me regarding which products to use and the process that was successful.

Fair winds,

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
By cutting the hole, you would be breaking the bond between layers. And allowing a place for water to get in between.

What about if this is done "properly" like it would be done to a deck of a keelboat? So that the laminates and the foam would be protected against moisture. I'd guess that the effect on structural strength would be quite minimal?

I'm thinking of installing a pair of deckports in process of repairing delamination. I plan to make the hole slightly bigger than needed, round the edges of both layers of laminate and grind of a few centimeters of foam. After that I'd fill it up with epoxy (using a mold) and sand it to tight fit.

Yeah, I know this thread is a year old, but it was just to the point...

Last edited by [FIN]Sailor on Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Done properly
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

I agree... if done properly, you can install ports and not cause additional problems.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)