Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deck Tread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've just finished fibreglassing the decks on my H14t, and have spraying enamel paint (hardwearing stuff they use on tractors and the like) ready to roll on. However, I'd like to add some texture to take away the slipperiness of the gloss paint. I know you can add fine sand, but would this be abrasive on wetsuit materials/booties? Are there any other products. I'm told the way to apply tred is slap on some paint, sprinkle sand or whatever on and allow to dry, then recoat with more paint. I'm no expert on this, so any suggestions would be helpful :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The way I have always done it is as follows.

1. Apply Primer with a roller
2. apply play sand with a sifter
3. allow to dry then wipe off excess sand with a soft brush
4. reapply primer
5. apply paint

A note on the sand. I used playsand available at any major hardware store. Before I applied I spread the sand out in half inch layers on a cookie sheet and baked in the oven at 150 for about twenty minutes. I applied primer while the sand cooled and then applied sand right away. This step may be overkill, but I wanted to make sure there was no moisture in the sand due to the sand being stored outside at the hardware store.

As far as wear goes it is not quite as gentle as the factory stuff, but I have no complaints. Any additional wear to my wet suit has been marginal if any. By the time you add the second coat of primer and the coat of paint the surface is not quite as textured as you thought it was going to be.