Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: old hobie 14
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
have just aquired a really old hobie 14.... probably early 70's...... i'm a beginner...what can I do to repair the hulls.... fibreglass is showing in a few spots... otherwise hulls are ok just a little cracked due to exposure in parts. mWould like to repair and paint... any clues greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To "Repair" the hulls, I would start by sanding them down really well. If there's any cracks or blisters sand down to the fiberglass. If the area looks okay, just sand the gelcoat down really well, until it is flat and even with the surrounding material. Use 180-220 grit wet sand for this. After you're satisfied with the smoothness of the hull, you have a few options. You can either gelcoat the boat, or use bottom paint. I would suggest using gelcoat, unless you sand the entire gelcoat off and lay several layers of resin to protect the hull from being penetrated by water. If you use gelcoat, there are several ways to apply it, the best being with a spray paint gun. Probably the best way to find out how to do this would be to search for "gelcoat application" or "repair" on google and find a page that shows you how to do it. Basically you're just going to be applying the gelcoat, then PVA, letting it cure, and then sanding the hull like a maniac to get it smooth and shiny. Hope this helps, all in all its really just a simple process if nothing's really wrong, just a lot of elbow grease. Hope this helps, good luck!