Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast foam
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

During my efforts to remove and reseat my comptip, because it was loose. I noticed the foam plug below the comptip seems to be waterlogged. Based on some other posts this plug should only be about 1 foot long. Can I just dig out the foam and refill? Best foam to refill with?

Thanks!

B~

Post subject: 2 part flotation foam
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

2 part flotation foam. Usually injected into a small hole below the tip after the tip is installed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will add to that to exercise caution as two part foams expand as they cure. I have actually seen a mast (not a hobie one) split open from the expansion of said foam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where can I find step by step instructions on resealing the mast plugs? I am unaware of 2 part foam. What product is that. Is it put in the bottom and top of the mast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fiberlay has foam:
http://www.fiberlay.com/

It expands but not as fast as some of the other stuff out there. Do NOT use that spray in foam, Great Stuff, or similar sold at Home Depot.

Any pictures of what you are doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not an expert but this is what I would do, especially since you already have the comp tip off.

Remove the old foam plug. Make a thin dam from cardboard or thin sheet of foam. Shape the dam to fit snugly inside the mast. Insert the dam to the depth you want the plug to be. Seal the edges of the dam with silicone or some other material. Stand the mast vertically and pour in two-part expanding foam (from a second story window?). Once set, trip off the excess foam. I would actually trim it so there is a slight recess and seal the exposed foam with epoxy or silicone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2nd story window???

Not what you need/want to do at all.

If you are going to try to dig out the old foam plug you are in for a lot of work. This is really not a good option. If you have not started, don't, there is not enough mosture in there to worry about.

If you cleaned the mast out, first install the new comptip. After the comptip is installed, then inject the two part epoxy foam into the mast. There should be a small (1/4") or so hole to use. Before you do this tape everything off and work in an area you don't care about (outside) and wear throw away type goggles, clothes... ...expanding foam will shoot out of the hole. No open flames (think big bad bang). Also, pay close attention to the temperature and humidity that the foam calls for. Too hot, too cold, low and high humidity will not allow the foam to expand or attach.

Really the best option is to let a dealer do this repair.