Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings fellow sailors!
I am new to the boards and spent time reviewing other solutions before posting this dilemma.

We have just come into two previously owned boats of the same generation (18' cats) Our dilemma is that one of the boats is excessively heavier then the other. It doesn't appear to be water in the hulls though I am not discounting that possibility. [If this is the case can the hull tops be seperated from the bottoms to replace the flotation in it entirety?]

What other possible circumstances could cause this problem and what would the solution be?

We are in a very remote part of Montana so this will be a back yard mechanic solution as a repair facility exceeds our abilty to transport or afford their type of solution.

Thanks, in advance for your time and expertise...
Callan in Montana :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe I read a post on this last summer in which the suggested solution was to put access ports into the decks. from there you can get inside and cut the foam blocks out one chunck at a time if they are bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:shock: ekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

The first thing I would try, especially if the boat has been sailed a lot in salt water is, put the boat flat on the ground (grass) so that the hulls are supported and then using a fresh water hose, push it into the hulls and fill them up. Salt accumulates in hulls and isn't so easy to get out unless you actually try. About 10 years ago someone in the UK did the cut remedy on an older boat and found ~ 1 years salt supply for Muck Donalds in his hulls...

Try rocking the hulls to get the water to wash any salt or sand to the back of the boat and drain it out the bung hole at the back.

You can also check by undoing the hatch by the front cross beam and putting a hand in there to check.

Also check if the boat has been patched... that could account for it.