Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sure. I'm busy the next two evenings but I can call you Thursay evening.

Post subject: great
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's cool, give me a call when you get a chance. I am just wondering what you used and if you think it might work to inflate something inside the hulls to push out against the epoxy that is injected to make it solid.

Post subject: New idea
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been looking at these hulls in my driveway now for a week and wondering how i can take this delam project on. The injection of the epoxy is easy but getting the foam and glass to reattach and hold seem to be the main issue. I have been thinking of using an inner tube strightened out in the hull to provide pressure out on the hull walls. Has anyone ever tried this? I thought using powder or something on the tube so the epoxy wont leak through the glass and stick to the tube would work? I have delam on the top and sides of one of the hulls. I thought I would work on the sides first, inflate the tube, deflate, the do the tops and reinflate. Anyone think this would work? Also cape guy call me i want to know where you got your glass and gelcoat, west is so expensive.

Post subject: Hulls are done
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't posted for awhile on this project, sooo....to update, I have the hulls completed. I used about 3 gallons of penetrating epoxy in all. I also reglassed the access slots I cut in each bow deck. Also, I sprayed 2- 3 coats of pure white gelcoat, sanded and buffed out.
The hulls are currently framed with the tramp installed. The last couple of weeks I've just been doing inventory on rigging, steering, etc and have ordered the various parts I need.
I sold my 16 this past week so this boat has to work.

But back to the Hulls. I weighed each hull before I installed the frames.
As it turns out I added about 23 to 25 lbs to each hull. I didn't think that was too awfully bad especially since I don't intend to race. The hulls are very solid and look really nice so I'm pretty happy with the result.
Would I recommend someone else attempting this job? would I do it all over again. Maaaaaaybeeeee....to the right person. And knowing me, i probably would :?
I'll welcome any questions, if there are any.
~John

Post subject: delamination repair
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I something similar I am looking at doing. I have a 16' with hulls that have some delamination on the deck areas but are otherwise solid. I did notice the starboard hull has a area about mid-length that seems to be pressed in possibly from strapping down too tightly. I want to repair them simply because I feel there is always a way to do so.

The decks I have areas that raise and lower like waves so the original curvature is not there. So I was going to try pulling up the areas or depressing them to reform them patching and re gel coating. I fell like I could drill holes in various areas pulling up from the inner glass and filling around and allowing them to set then attemping another area. As for the texture on the decks areas I am not sure what to do here, but once I do get the general shape back I can finish filling so all of these areas are solid as one.

The outter portion of hull caved in I think could be done in the same manner. I would possibly then have to fill outer depressions sanding and filling to provide a smooth finish. I would like to know the products that you used and sources for purchasing. If you can please provide some photos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used penetrating epoxy purchased in a 2 gallon sets from this company.
[url]http://www.fgci.com/
[/url]
This epoxy mix retains a limited flexibility unlike some of the other penetrating epoxies I've used which cure rock solid. This may make a little more impact resistant but not sure on that. It does have a really good working time though.

You can see some of my earlier posts about some of the tools I used.
I used off the shelf polyester fill to patch and smooth out injection holes. One thing about patching those holes - take a hand grinder and sand off the immediate area around the hole, about the size of a 1/2 dollar. Just down to the fiberglass but not much farther. That way when you patch with the polyester fill and smooth out the polyester has some strength and won't push through the hole later on.

Post subject: delamination
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi John
I have a HC18 in Sweden and the outside on one of the hulls has 80% delamination problems (= only the forward 4 feet of the hull is ok). I hope you have had a chance to sail a lot with your HC. If you have, I'm interested to learn in case your repairs have proven to work well.
Patrik