It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Getaway sail camping
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

8)
speed633 wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, this kinda turns into a back packing sport where the lightest packers will probably have the most fun

Agreed. I have a 21SC, which carries the weight a little better and has more storage options. Excess weight will make your ride wetter and slower. Too much stuff on the front tramp will be a drag if the waves pick up.

Things I have learned:
  • A boat specific tent is a neat trick, but depending on where you are going you may want a tent that can be set up on dirt as well; in case of severe weather.
  • A 68qt cooler is plenty of space for 4 people over 3 days. Dry ice saves weight and space in the cooler.
  • A cheap portable propane grill attached to the wings is great for cooking. I use mine while sailing. When the boat heels over in a gust the brats turn themselves.
  • Know where you are going, and where you can seek shelter should a storm pop up. Bring a chart
  • Carry a radio, or at least a phone. Listen to weather reports occasionally.
  • Bring snorkeling stuff, enjoy the destinations

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there Getaway people. I've been learning to sail in a tasar for the last year and half, and have a good (more experienced) sailing buddy, and enough wind-sense and de-powering skills to feel like I'm ready to move on. I want something I can go camping with across the bay on an island that has quite a few campable beaches.. I'm looking at getting a Getaway as it looks perfect for the job, what I'm wondering though, is how you go about getting them up the beach... I see the camping tents here, and I'm wondering if you sleep on the water, or if you pull your boats up on the beach... If so, that would require a two man team and must be pretty strenuous... Or do you just leave it at the high tide-line, pulling it closer to shore as the tide rises, if you arrive early?? Any tips on whether to sleep on the boat or the beach, and how you go about securing the boat/ getting it up the beach???

Forgive the noviceness of this question. There is no point in pretending to be anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MangroveMan wrote:
Hi there Getaway people. I've been learning to sail in a tasar for the last year and half, and have a good (more experienced) sailing buddy, and enough wind-sense and de-powering skills to feel like I'm ready to move on. I want something I can go camping with across the bay on an island that has quite a few campable beaches.. I'm looking at getting a Getaway as it looks perfect for the job, what I'm wondering though, is how you go about getting them up the beach... I see the camping tents here, and I'm wondering if you sleep on the water, or if you pull your boats up on the beach... If so, that would require a two man team and must be pretty strenuous... Or do you just leave it at the high tide-line, pulling it closer to shore as the tide rises, if you arrive early?? Any tips on whether to sleep on the boat or the beach, and how you go about securing the boat/ getting it up the beach???

Forgive the noviceness of this question. There is no point in pretending to be anything else.

If you watch the video in the first post, the guy is actually in FL, doing more or less what you propose to do. He is anchoring at night, and sleeping on the boat. He appears to have enlarged the cooler/storage compartments in the hulls.
As far as beaching goes, some short sections of PVC tube work well to reduce friction when dragging the boat. I have no problem getting my boat high enough on the beach at local lakes and rivers without the PVC tubing, but I don't have tides to deal with.

Hope that helps,

Ken