Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uneven weather helm
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've recently bought a getaway and whilst I absolutely love it, either I can't get the set up right or something fundamental is wrong. Whilst on port tack I experience significant weather helm and on starboard tack all is great. Obviously the boat seems to want to veer to port all the time as I think this is neutralising the natural weather helm on starboard tack as the helm is very neutral on this tack. Also, I can't seem to get the boat "in the groove" (no other way to describe it) whilst on port tack.
Does anyone have any ideas? The mast rotation seems to be fine on both tacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Look at the rudders. You may have concave shape on both rudders / asymetrical. They can be replaced if needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With the boat out of the water set the rudders down and steer straight ahead, does the rudder want to take off in one direction? Check the connection between the xross bar and the rudders, there is a rubber tendon there and if they were installed and tightened up with the rudders hard one way then the rudders will always want to come back to that position. Loosen up the tendons set the rudders straight ahead and then tighten the tendons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Mat and Roy,

I've checked the rudders and there isn't any concave shape on them. I'll try checking the rudders in the down position and get back to you.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Assuming the sails are trimmed exactly the same on both tacks (main sheet and jib both trimmed to the same sheet and traveler settings), it sounds like the rudder rake on your starboard rudder is too far back. You probably need to adjust the rudder so that the bottom tip sits farther forward (either by adjusting the rudder casting or re-drilling the pivot holes, I'm not familiar specifically with the Getaway rudder castings). Raking the rudder tips forward reduces pull on the tiller, raking them back increases pull.

You may want to compare the relative fore/aft position of the two rudders when they're locked down.

You could also test sail the boat with the windward rudder kicked up to eliminate any alignment issues between the two rudders and isolate the problem rudder.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've checked the rake on both rudders and they seem to be the same. They also seem to be lined up fore and aft. I re-checked for any concave shape and there is a small concave shape just fwd of the stbd trailing edge on both rudders.
Could this be the problem? It really isn't that prominent. I've got a mate who's also got a getaway so I'll swap rudders with him and see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

austsailor wrote:
I re-checked for any concave shape and there is a small concave shape just fwd of the stbd trailing edge on both rudders.
Could this be the problem? It really isn't that prominent.

Yes, If the concave in on just one side and the same on both rudders. That would do it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mat,

Sorry it's taken me so long to add to this thread, work has kept me away from the more enjoyable things.

Regards the concave on the rudders, what is the best way to fix this or is do I need to replace the rudder blades. If I need to replace them, is it a warranty job?

Thanks again for your help,

Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

If the rudders are concave on one side, you may be able to file (heavily) on the opposite side for a temp fix, but request replacements on warranty.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)