Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just purchased a new 'closeout' 2008 Hobie Getaway with Load-rite trailer, toybox, and rear mast bracket for $8500.00 from a dealer in SE PA. Picking it up late October. Getting back into sailing from a 10 yr hiatus (Hobie 16'). My wife made me do it!

In your professional opinion...
- Could I fly a hull with a total crew weight of 270 lbs with a wind speed of 15-25 mph?
- Any improvements or adjustments required to optimize the Getaway sailing experience.
- Is there a weight limit for the front tramp?
- Any way to avoid the toy box floating the trailer when launching the boat?
- Would like to store the boat (on trailer) in my back yard over the winter... What size tarp should I get? Winterizing tips?
- Can 2 people launch this boat on the beach (e.g. Outer banks) with beach wheels? What would be the best way to rig the wheels to the boat?

Thank you for your suggestions!
Bob

ps
Bobka, our long-haired Chihuhua, is hereby designated as second mate. Doggie trapeze???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BobCat wrote:

I don't know of a specific "weight limit", but you'll quickly discover that the addition of even a little weight on the front tramp (say, the weight of a child) will cause your bows to dig in and bury while moving at anything faster than a slow drift.

BobCat wrote:
Any way to avoid the toy box floating the trailer when launching the boat?

I've never had a problem with my toy box floating the trailer. The box fills up with water, so don't leave anything in there that you do not want to get wet. Also, leave the lid off while ramping otherwise the water will yank it off as you pull the trailer out of the water!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dolfnfan wrote:

I don't know of a specific "weight limit", but you'll quickly discover that the addition of even a little weight on the front tramp (say, the weight of a child) will cause your bows to dig in and bury while moving at anything faster than a slow drift.

I never found that to be the case.

I did extensive "studies" with my Getaway and even installed an FX 6 hotstick so that I could drive from the Fwd tramp (hull) to catch waves and in under 10 kts there was no problem with the bows digging ever. There's quite a bit buoyancy forward. I did more "studies" in 25kts and 10' ground swell driving from the fwd tramp and it surfs better than any other cat I've ever sailed. I would sail down wind, downswell standing forward and as we caught the wave I would move back, just like surfing on a board. I'm 6'5" weigh 230#'s
The Getaway when properly tuned tacks very easily and is very forgiving. You'll love it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

BobCat wrote:
- Would like to store the boat (on trailer) in my back yard over the winter... What size tarp should I get? Winterizing tips?

See this recent thread for suggestions http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=10716
Deep snowpack may not be an issue in PA, but a little wet snow can weigh a suprising amount. You might get away :wink: with a big tarp over the mast (on trailer stand(s)) to make a big circus tent, thouroughly tied down of course.

Hobie also has an nice custom formed cover for $240.

The important things are: ensure all water is drained from hulls, coolers, etc, and do not to let significant snow accumulate on the tramp surfaces.

Congrats on the purchase!

2007 Hobie Wave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BobCat wrote:
- Could I fly a hull with a total crew weight of 270 lbs with a wind speed of 15-25 mph?

Absolutely. My wife and I weight 270 lbs and can fly in 15/20 knots even when de-powering the main sail using the lower hole.

BobCat wrote:
- Any improvements or adjustments required to optimize the Getaway sailing experience.o

Get yourself a hot-stick. FX3 works. The stock one is a little to flexible IMHO.

If you want to experiment with a spinnaker, get one from SurfCity catamarans... Thrill guaranteed in 15+ knots...

If you are thinking about buying wings... don't.

Get the trapeze kit. Fun does not match the Hobie 16 experience, but it is better than nothing.
I can't find any official weight limit from Hobie, but I wish we could install a second trapeze, especially at such low total weight of 270 lbs. Any dealer or manufacturer recommendation here ???

BobCat wrote:

Yes, 0 lbs...
Don't get me wrong, the front tramp is great to lie down when you want to relax and enjoy the scenery. But as soon as you want to do serious sailing, get out of there.

BobCat wrote:
- Any way to avoid the toy box floating the trailer when launching the boat?

This one is a bummer...
If you leave the box, it will get filled with water, and open itself... and whatever is inside will slide in the water...

BobCat wrote:

I use 2 tarps, 8x10 and 8x6 (I think...) smalll to cover the front, long one for the back. I attach them together. Works well on the beach, covers both tramp, and most of the hulls. You probably want something bigger if you want to cover everything for the winter. Plus you might want to cover the wings.

BobCat wrote:
- Can 2 people launch this boat on the beach (e.g. Outer banks) with beach wheels? What would be the best way to rig the wheels to the boat?

This is the real deal breaker. The boat will kill your back.
I built myself a winch to lift the boat, so that I can install cattrax under the boat and I strap then tightly.
It the boat is well balanced, you will be able to move it, even solo. If the wheels slide under the hull, then it is game over.
Don't even think about going uphill by yourself. Even with 2 people @ 270 lbs will have hard time moving it uphill.

Other than that, boat sail nicely, tack easily, is forgiving, is great if you have kids, as they can move around without putting the boat at risk of capsizing, and it de-power quickly which is good news in 25 knots wind...
At 270 lbs total weight, you will go veryyyy faast... Congratulations on your new boat !

Post subject: flying the hull
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You should have no problem flying a hull with that weight and in those winds.

As for the front, be careful to watch the pitchpoling. A buddy and I went out in 25 mph winds and he was sitting too close to the front and we flipped her good, end over end. It ws my fault as skipper but if he were further back it would not have happened.

Post subject: Getaway went away!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bad News: Since my wife lost one of her part time jobs, we were forced to cancel our Getaway deal with a local Hobie dealer. Bummer!!!! I told our salesperson that I would share this (excellent) price with y'all:
New Hobie Getaway 2008 (close out, still in box, hull# CCMN3272A808)
Wings
Galvanized Load rite trailer
Rear mast bracket
Hobie toy box
Set up
$8499
Tax not included.

Call Jack Ott at "Clews and Strawbridge" boat dealer. They are located a few miles NW of PHILADELPHIA. Jack's phone number is 610-644-3529. Tell him Bob and Karen told you to call. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I feel bad but you should keep the deal on the boat, just run the financing out farther. Getting out on the water is the best distressing thing you can do. If your not too far from the lake then its relatively inexpensive to do, you can sail all day for peanuts. The boat will last many years and the cost per year is minimal.