Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

looking at an older ~2002 Getaway and just wanted to get a feeling for what I would have to replace and the cost if I purchased.. I know to some degree it will depend on the condition but a couple of questions

1)) has original sails.. can I expect to have to replace 12 yo sails regardless of how much they were used or will they have held up if they were not used very much

2) read in other posts just to go ahead and replace shrouds

3) same sort of question for tramps.. will assess condition but how often do people find themselves replacing these during normal use.. every 5 years, 10 years, ....

4) anything else I can expect to have to replace or update??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an '03 Getaway that I sail a lot here in central Florida. I still have my original sails and the main is in great shape. The jib is showing some wear and getting a few pin holes from being handled over the years. I'm anal about keeping the sails out of the sun and taking good care of them. Because of the Florida sun beating down constantly on the tramps and wing covers I've had to replace them about every 4 years or so. I've tried covering the boat but between the mildew magnet that they become from trapping moisture and the hassle of using a cover I've abandoned that. I've replaced the jib sheet once because I leave it on the boat. The main sheet is original because I take it off of the boat when I'm done sailing. My hulls, mast, and rudders are all still hanging in there. This boat is built really well. A little bleach now and then on the hulls make them look brand new. When I saw the abuse that the Getaway could take in a resort's rental fleet in the Caribbean I figured that it would last me forever. So far, it has surpassed my expectations.

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanx for your reply. Will get a better sense once I get to actually look at it but being 12 years old sort was scaring me off but supposedly only been sailed a few times in the last 5 years. Hopefully going to be part of the Getaway family soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well the boat I went and looked at was a bust... probably would sail ok but need a lot replaced to bring it up to good condition and in my assessment if I am looking at replacing tramps, sails and rigging then was not priced appropriately.. if anyone knows of a used Getaway within a couple hours of Eastern NC please let me know. The search continues.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the finders fee? :o
I think she is ready to sail.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/4667964481.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanx.. that is the one I looked at.