Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm close to buying a Hobie Getaway, but was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible to rig and get the mast up single-handed? If yes, is it very difficult? How did you manage it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Getaway forum is a better place to ask this question. The Getaway requires the mast to be rotated 90 degrees while being raised so it is more complicated than some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can't imagine it being significantly different than any of the other Hobies. Connect a length of line to either the main halyard or a trapeeze wire. Pass the line through a pulley mounted either to the mast stand on your trailer or to one of the bow tangs and lead the line back through a jib cleat (or other cleat that is easy to access). Raise the mast as normal, pull in the line and cleat it off to hold the mast up, walk forward and connect the forestay, release and remove the line. I've done this on both 17s and 18s with no problem.

The harder part is usually moving the boat around on the beach by yourself.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
Can't imagine it being significantly different than any of the other Hobies. Connect a length of line to either the main halyard or a trapeeze wire. Pass the line through a pulley mounted either to the mast stand on your trailer or to one of the bow tangs and lead the line back through a jib cleat (or other cleat that is easy to access). Raise the mast as normal, pull in the line and cleat it off to hold the mast up, walk forward and connect the forestay, release and remove the line. I've done this on both 17s and 18s with no problem.

I use the MastStepper. Raising the mast becomes very easy.

srm wrote:
The harder part is usually moving the boat around on the beach by yourself.

This is an understatement....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I second the mast stepper. It takes a little figuring out, but works well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also set up my Getaway by myself, raising and lowering the mast solo. It's not that difficult once you figure out your procedure. I have even lowered and raised the mast on the water to go under some bridges. That's a little tricky and I'm not sure I would do that on a regular basis.

But I would agree that moving the boat around on the beach solo is the real job. I have to move my boat up the beach 200' - 300' depending on the tides. And it can be a real PITA. If the wind is really blowing and coming down the beach. I leave the sails up, sheet out and pull from the windward front crossbeam. If you set it just right it will "sail" up the beach with very little effort. I haven't turned it over doing this yet, but I have come VERY close. This takes a little practice.

So, the first person that comes up with a POWERED way to move these boats on the beach, call me, I'm in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

drgatsea wrote:
So, the first person that comes up with a POWERED way to move these boats on the beach, call me, I'm in.

Call me too !

It took me some time, but I am now able to lift the boat, put it on beach wheels, and then move the whole thing with on finger (assuming I don't go up hill too much)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, I give, how do you move your Getaway with one finger once you have it on the beach wheels?

Post subject: Getting mast stepper
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered the mast stepper, so I guess that will solve that problem. But, I don't have a beach! Virtually the entire lake is bulkheaded, so I am going to try to launch the Getaway from a trailer down a paved boat-ramp. Hope that works. Any experience with that method of launching? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I only ramp launch, it has a couple of issues.
First, you must wear water shoes because of algae below the waterline of the ramp. Everyone falls down occasionally, so be ready for it.
Next you want a painter line so you can control the boat. Mine is 1/4" yellow floating polybraid. It is attached to the front crossbar with a loose loop at the center. The bitter end is also a large loop. I shove the boat back off the trailer into the water, the painter I use is about 30', and by the time it plays out I have stepped to the side of the trailer. I can then pull the boat back to me alongside of the trailer, tie it off and then move the trailer. The painter stays on the bow while sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Flying the Jolly Roger from the leech of a Getaway is hella-COOL! 8)

ゲッタウェイã

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

drgatsea wrote:
OK, I give, how do you move your Getaway with one finger once you have it on the beach wheels?

I put boat on the Cat Trax, but the trick is really to balance the boat.
This is very important, if the boat is not balanced, then i am fighting against the weight of the hulls.
And as important is that the wheels must not slide under the hulls, so I secure the Cat Trax with strap tie down.
By using strap down the boats stays balanced. I'd would like to use cradles, but the hulls are too large.

One challenge remains: how to put the beach wheels under the boat... You need to lift the hulls. I built a home made device, made with a 8' long 2x4 and a winch... I can lift the front hulls 4 feet up the ground, and it stays there by itself, which give me plenty of time to install and secure the wheels.

I can do the whole operation by myself, really without too much effort.
But it still annoying as hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes - balancing the boat on the wheels makes it easier to move.

Yes - securing the boat on the wheels makes it easier to move.

NO - you can't move it with one finger.

No matter how well you balance it on the wheels, it still weighs 400+ lbs. To get to the water, I go from black top to hard packed dirt, to hard sand, to soft sand, to wet sand. Unless your finger is real BIG and real STRONG, it will need the rest of it's friends to get the job done.

Use your straps to temporarily keep the wheels in place as you push them under the boat. Push one side under a couple of feet, secure them to the stay, push the other side under, secure them to the stay. Just alternate sides, using the straps to keep the wheels from moving backwards. You will have the wheels under the boat and balanced in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

drgatsea wrote:
Use your straps to temporarily keep the wheels in place as you push them under the boat. Push one side under a couple of feet, secure them to the stay, push the other side under, secure them to the stay. Just alternate sides, using the straps to keep the wheels from moving backwards. You will have the wheels under the boat and balanced in no time.

This approach never worked for me.
I am not strong enough to lift the boat and push the wheels by myself, even for a couple of feet. They always end up sliding before I have time to secure them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Use that one finger you move the Getaway around with..... just kidding

I'm not strong enough to lift the Getaway either. Try this. Get the wheels under the bow of the boat. You have to lift the front crossbeam just a little, then push the wheels under with your legs. This isn't hard because you don't lift it much. Then, before you push the wheels any more, put a strap on each side from the end of the wheels to the chain plate. This will keep the wheels from sliding out from under the bow. With the straps in place, pick a side, put your foot on the wheel axle and push. If you move it a foot or so, fine. Tighten the strap on that side and go to the other side. By holding on to the boat and pushing with your legs, it is not difficult to slide the wheels under the boat. By tightening the strap before you go to push on the other side, you don't allow the wheels to slide backwards,undoing the work you just did. You can do this.