Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With the new sailing sailing season approaching, I would like to start racing with my Getaway. Most Hobie races around here include Hobie 16 and Tigers, and not much of anything else.

Who is racing with his Hobie Getaway ?
Are there any North California sailors here who would like to race ?

If not to win, at least for fun, and to show all the fiberglass guys what plastic boats can do :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have raced sailboats off and on for 25 years, the holy grail of racing is "higher and faster" a Getaway points so poorly that I cannot see how one could be welcome on the race course. I have raced fast boats and always been at the front and I have raced slow boats and always been at the back. The worst thing is to be so slow that when you are on your final windward leg you see the committee boat leaving the finish line to go pick up marks. I have only sailed my Getaway a couple of months but the best I can tell, it is the worst pointing boat EVER. The idea of close reaching back and forth a dozen times while everyone else on the course tacks three times to fetch a mark does not sound like fun to me. I have actually been wondering if there is a way to put a centerboard under the mast, I was looking at a kick-up rudder on ebay wondering if I could figure out a way to use it. Bottom line, I don't think the Getaway will make for a fun regatta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fhopper wrote:
...the holy grail of racing is "higher and faster"

UUUMM, Yeah. But what about if the boats are equally matched?

A short list of One-Design boats that I have raced and their approximate hull speeds around the cans:
Santana 22, KPH 6
Catalina 27, KPH 6.5
J105, KPH 8
Catalina 30, KPH 7
Islander 30, KPH 8
Santa Cruz 27, KPH 8.5

Getaway at the Alter-Cup Qualifier, full of beer, me at the helm= 11.3 KPH

My point is that there are a lot of slower boats racing out there than the Getaway. What about Optis, Fj's, Lasers. A getaway would smoke all of them most likely. One-Design racing is fun. Equally matched boats is the premise and it stops the arms race. It doesn't matter if you can't point as high, or go as fast as another design. The old saying goes, if there are two boats sailing, then it's a race, one-design takes it to the next level.

Welcomed on the racecourse??

I've been getting calls lately about certain Hobie boats not being welcomed at regattas. I tried to find where this internet rumor is being perpetuated, but couldn't.
For the record: If you have a stock, class legal Hobie, you are welcomed to sail Hobie points regattas. No matter what. If anyone gives you a hard time, have them call me directly and I'll straighten them out.

And Christophe, You're on the right track with getting other Getaways on the water. I only have a Getaway now, so I will gladly race against you this season.

Last edited by Sail Revolution on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Next month, AZ Multihull Fleet 42 will be having their annual Sail Fest down in Puerto Penasco, MX. This will be my first attempt at racing, and am really looking forward to it.

It's ironic, I purposely bought the Getaway so the whole family can comfortably enjoy the time on the water. However, a little race now and then, will probably help the sailing learning curve?

Wish us luck! :wink:

ゲッタウェイã

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My perspective was from Wed nite beer can races with all types of boats.
You are absolutely correct, my local fleet would be delighted to register my boat. And I know I would have a great time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We've got a local (now a 20 sailor) who was racing his Getaway in a mixed fleet of monoslugs (his description, not mine). They kept changing his rating because he kept beating everyone. So he added a spinnaker to really annoy them.

Now he's the race commodore.

I'm thinking they wish they hadn't whined so much.

VMG (Velocity Made Good) is the key. You don't have to point as high when you have twice the boat speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fhopper wrote:
I have raced sailboats off and on for 25 years, the holy grail of racing is "higher and faster" a Getaway points so poorly that I cannot see how one could be welcome on the race course.

Humm... I bought my getaway as a familiy boat, and it is a great boat for what it is. When we have local races here, I think it would be great if casual sunday sailors could participate. My boat is plenty fast for the conditions, 15/20 knots most of the time.

The bottom line is that I would love to participate in a race with my kid, without being afraid of him falling overboard or getting hurt by the boom because I concentrate too much on the opponents.
And it is not fast enough, I can always use my spinnaker !

And look at those guys, they seem to have enough fun...
http://www.t2p.tv/guide/freeviewers/bvisr082b.php

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
And Christophe, You're on the right track with getting other Getaways on the water. I only have a Getaway now, so I will gladly race against you this season.

Jeremy, you know the rule... The customer always wins :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

crobiecat wrote:

Jeremy, you know the rule... The customer always wins :lol:

My boat is such a pile, it'll probably break and I'll end up sailing with you anyway. :lol:

There's a guy in the Delta with a Get we should find. Vette something on the forums. There's Paul in the 650 we should get on the water. My transplant friends from Texas have a Getaway. They'll race. There are two Sac boats we could find. And Margret in the Santa Cruz Mountains. She'll race with us for sure. I know of another SC Mountain boat that will race. And Robert in the 510, He's into it.

Alright, let's put the word out. Race is on for the Kick-Off!

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've raced my Getaway in several regattas in central Florida in the past couple of seasons. I think that it is great just to be out on the water with a bunch of other people in their sail boats. I have been warmly welcomed at each regatta that I have entered and have been the only Getaway at each one.

You are right in that it can be discouraging to have everyone else point higher as you are fighting your way to windward. When the other boats are Hobie 16's and 18's they seem to walk away from you. But if the regatta is using the Portsmouth handicap they have to be a way ahead of you to beat you. If I have it figured right, in a race that lasts 60 minutes a Hobie 18 has to be 12 minutes in front of me in order to beat me. That is a pretty big gap. Half of the fun is doing well in a type of boat that NOBODY else expects to be fast. Especially when they spent more money on their sails that I did for my boat.

As far as the committe boat is concerned, I make sure before the racing begins to be helpful and friendly to them. I volunteer to help move the course buoys, for example. That way, they are less likely to abandon me during the last race of the day while I am still on the course.

The thing I love about sailing is that you can learn the principles pretty quickly. But every single time I go out on the boat, even after all of the many years I've been sailing, it teaches me something new.

Keep sailing!

'05 Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I race my Getaway several times a year in the SE. I'm always welcome and I have a blast. I've been doing OK, as far as placing goes. But the main thing is that I'm having fun, and I'm welcome with my tank. I'm around a great group of people, and I try to stay out of the way of the fast F18, F16 and N20 boats sipping around me like I'm a course marker.

On days with no wind (happens a lot in the SE during the summer) we are all equally fast, we all have a common top speed of 0. And my coolers becomes a source of envy :)

Post subject: who is racing hobie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi
I am in my second season of sailing a Getaway in Mexico. Just before coming back to California, we decided to have a village regatta. It was my first race and I won, against a very mixed group of 25 ft cruisers, Lasers, Capri 14, and a Hobie 16 that started from the beach 10 minutes late.
With 15 kt winds, as you've said, I couldn't make it to the first mark. I just got as close as I could and then made one tack. All the others followed me, but then tacked before the mark and got all hung up.
Beginners Luck is great.[img][/img]