Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When sailing with the mainsail only, I can't come about. With the jib, I have some more success, but I'm still not sure I'm doing it right.

I don't like gybing, but that's the only way I know how to turn...

I'm a new sailor to catamarans. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've gotta keep your speed up to tack without a jib. Then be smooth on the tiller, and as you're heading up, pull in the mainsheet tight! Then as you're head to wind, pop out the mainsheet. Stay at the (old) windward rear corner of the tramp until you're well about on the new tack. :)

Takes some practice. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just received a Getaway for my 50th from my wife. I love it
I have been limited to lake sailing and have also had problems with ending up in irons when I tacked. Follow the advice carefully about letting out the Main and delaying shifting sides that helps allow the jib to pull you around smoothly. But I have found that you need to turn gracefully into your tack and then come hard at it at the last 1/4 of the turn. This gives the bow a push and eliminates the Braking effect the rudders have if you tack hard all at once. There is a considerable amount of surface on the rudders and a hard turn puts them close to a 90 degree angle to your travel causing a braking action. I have incorporated this motion into my tacking and it is a much smoother transition.
Enjoy

Post subject: 17SE sailor here
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

that means I don't have a jib either - so I know where you're coming from :oops:

A lot depends on the wind and wave conditions, but I agree with Jaime and with Steve - keep up your speed, turn smoothly until the last 1/4 of the turn, sheet in the main and let it out per Jaime's instructions. The rudders will act as brakes otherwise as Steve points out. Definitely stay on the windward corner until you after you have come through the eye of the wind. I believe this is known as a "roll -tack". You are trying to pivot the boat on that one corner of the windward hull.

Having said that, you should not be afraid to gybe. Somewhere there was a real lively discussion about this. I believe that we had different approaches but most of them included bringing the traveler to center and then sheeting in the main tight - but NOT locked in - when the main comes over you can control the swing of the main by allowing the sheet out at a safe speed. Another way to do this is simply to grab the whole wad of line between the blocks and pull the sail over to the leeward side as you come through the turn. I still recommend starting with the traveler at center either way. Just don't let the sail "slam" to the new side in an uncontrolled swing. Oh, and make sure your crew knows what the heck is about to happen :shock:

Tacking with a jib is a cinch however. You should almost never blow a tack using your jib regardless of conditions. Follow all the above instructions for initiating and completing a turn except that you should sheet the jib in TIGHT, on the side it is on, the leeward side before you want to turn. As the bows come through the eye of the wind, the jib will "back-wind" and FORCE the bows to finish the turn. DO NOT release the jib sheet to the new side UNTIL you are actually starting to move forward a little.

It's fast, it's easy, and makes me wonder why I don't purchase a jib kit for my 17.... Oh yeah... money :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used to have this problem. I discovered the key was to unsheet the main as soon as the boat is head into the wind. It seems almost impossible to make a tack when the main is sheeted in tight.