Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone else have this corrosion at mast step stud? There really should be some type of insulator at step stud nut / crossbar contact area. Thanks
JC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This seems to happen to all the boats that use this mast step configuration. I agree, it's silly, there should be a plastic insulating disc top and bottom to keep the SS from contacting the aluminum and stop the corrosion. In addition, the aluminum compression tube that's inside the crossbar will eventually corrode to the SS dolphin striker post making it impossible to adjust/remove.

It would be quite easy to put a plastic disk under the top washer - just remove the ball, nut, and washer, put the disk in and reassemble. The bottom one is more involved to remove.

On my boat, I try to rinse the entire crossbar (inside & out) with fresh water after sailing. I may go and put a plastic disk under the top nut too. These are expensive parts to replace, and they will eventually fail if left to corrode.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:54 am 
Site Admin

There is too much load on the parts for a plastic washer. It would simply crush.

There is some anti corrosion stuff that Jeremy / SurfCity talks about. Have to search the forums here for that...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Lanocote

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
There is too much load on the parts for a plastic washer. It would simply crush.

Well you guys have studied it more than me, I'm sure. But it seems there are some pretty darn strong plastics out there that would probably work. Keep the stainless washers top & bottom, but add an insulator between the washer and the X-bar just to keep the stainless off of the aluminum. Heck, you guys use a delrin (teflon?) disk on the 16/14 mast steps and that seems to hold up. Pop a hole in one of those and sandwich it in between. For that matter, the ball itself is plastic and those don't deform or break. Make some disks out of whatever material the ball is made from.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Still captures salt and moisture... still corrodes. We have the same issue at mast tangs and all other riveted fittings. Even ones where we do use an insulator material. Jeremy swears by the Lanocote idea for repairs he has done.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
For that matter, the ball itself is plastic and those don't deform or break. Make some disks out of whatever material the ball is made from.

A good point. I was thinking a few strips of high quality electrical tape would be a lot better than nothing.

JC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, pretty much any type of insulation you put between the two should help. Not sure how long tape would hold up, but yes better than nothing.

The Lanocote looks like interesting stuff. Probably would be good to use at any and all stainless/aluminum interfaces.

sm