Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: forestay design question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a new Getaway owner and I have a question about the forestay that I'm hoping someone on this board will be able to shed light on. The other day I was raising the mast and I saw a screw on the front tramp. It was from the shackle that connects to the forestay adjuster. It was only my 5th time sailing my brand new Getaway, so I was surprised to see it was that loose. I was also alarmed because I didn't think to be checking the shackles on the forestay before each trip, and now I will do that religiously. I can't imagine dismasting out on the lake if it wiggled loose then.

But anyway, my question: Why are there 2 places on the forestay that are secured by a shackle and a pin, with no nut or ring to secure it? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a clevis pin and ring, or something that locks?

Thanks in advance for any insight. This is my first post, but I've already found this board to be a great resource.

Pat Youngblood
Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

These are attchments that rarely have had issues. I am surprised it came loose. Usually very tight from the factory, but certainly... add loc tite or change the fittings if you are concerned.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply Matt. I'm looking at the 2009-10 catalog right now and if I'm reading it right there is typically a clevis pin and ring ding at the top of the adjuster, not a threaded pin (with no nut or lock). Since there's no design reason for this, I think I will switch it out for peace of mind.

best,

Pat Youngblood
Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

youngblood wrote:
I was also alarmed because I didn't think to be checking the shackles on the forestay before each trip, and now I will do that religiously. I can't imagine dismasting out on the lake if it wiggled loose then.

Always check all shackles and rings before sailing.
My forestay shackle came loose recently, and the mast went down... No harm done, but we had to get towed in, and get everything fixed.
Since then, I religiously check everything before sailing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

crobiecat wrote:
Always check all shackles and rings before sailing.
My forestay shackle came loose recently, and the mast went down... No harm done, but we had to get towed in, and get everything fixed.
Since then, I religiously check everything before sailing.

Is your forestay shackle fastened with a threaded pin also? I'm going to switch mine out with a clevis pin and ring, I think, once I check in with the hobie dealer here. I'm still sort of scratching my head about why a threaded pin with no lock or nut is used on the forestay.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some brands of shackles have a hole in the "handle" of the bolt. You can put a little zip-tie through the hole and around the shackle, so it CAN'T turn. Then when you need to remove it, just clip the zip-tie.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a twisted wire instead of zip tie. It works just fine.

As for checking the boat every time you sail, I second that advice. I once went out in decent wind only to notice that the forestay came out of the shackle and the entire mast was being supported solely by the jib itself. It made for a scary trip going in.