Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pejnielsen wrote:
The boat could use a down haul and I am going to look into installing one.

Paul, I installed the 6:1 downhaul on mine.
That's really nice. I was tired on pulling the stock downhaul without being able to remove any wrinkle in the sail.
Now I have this nice downhaul that I can adjust without any effort, although I have yet to notice any difference in actual performance!
But it sure does looks good. Don't pull to much though... you don't want to break the sail.
I used the hobie 6:1 and I just added a hook like the one on the main block.

Now I'd like to install a jib traveller. I wonder if it would help pointing better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Crobiecat
I'd love to see it. Seems like we are in the same boat. I LOVE the Getaway. I just want it to point better. It seems like Hobie has hooked me back into sailing, with out a natural progression in their line. I will be sailing in the Port of Redwood City Sunday. Come on down if you have any time. Beer will be on me.
No worries
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pejnielsen wrote:
Crobiecat
I'd love to see it. Seems like we are in the same boat. I LOVE the Getaway. I just want it to point better. It seems like Hobie has hooked me back into sailing, with out a natural progression in their line. I will be sailing in the Port of Redwood City Sunday. Come on down if you have any time. Beer will be on me.

Most likely, I will be in Santa Cruz Saturday and Sunday. Do you sail during the week ?
I did some changes to the boat already, spinnaker, upgrade tiller, downhaul, I am unlikely to add any more money to it.
I will finish learning on it, and probably just change boat, that will be simpler that trying to change the boat into something it is not designed for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Crobiecat,
No sailing for at least the next month during the week for me. I will see about running down to Santa Cruz one of these weekends to take a look at your set-up. I think your right about letting the Getaway be a Getaway. Good boat with it's limitations. Bur ALL boats have their limitations just seem to me that Hobie has a hole in it's line up. I sure understand why they went the direction they did. I hope they are doing some of their own R&D and not just sitting on the past.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been thinking of this problem for a while not sure if it would work but i was considering using some large surfboard fins mounted to the bottom of the haul , there are a large selection of fin boxes on the market that could be glued to the haul to test if it helps then later mount permanently, this would allow you to remove the fin before beaching or trailering.

Last edited by XxTrasHxX on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An additional centerboard or skeg is not likely to be able to withstand the forces the boat generates in a moderate to strong wind without some serious modification to the boat. A leeboard might be a potential solution, but will still be pretty messy.

So your best bet may be to just switch to better rudders. A stiff set of EPO or fiberglass racing rudders will probably make a noticable improvement over the plastic stock rudders and would not require any modification to the platform.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pejnielsen wrote:
Crobiecat

Paul, I removed my boat from Santa Cruz for the winter, and I plan to come to RedwoodCity. Are you going to be there this week end? May be you can show me around?
Send me an email if you want to go.