Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Came Down. Help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my Getaway about a month ago, have sailed it now on Lake Michigan 5 times. It has been awesome. Today I ran into some trouble. It was very light air but somewhat wavy and the mast was kind of shaking around when we went over waves.

I lost the shackle that connects the jib to the jib furler and my mast came down. It wasn't a huge deal, everyone got out of the way and the lifeguards towed us in, which my kids thought was hilarious.

I have a few questions --

1. The pin that holds the mast onto the ball obviously did not come out, so I am worried that the mast base or the step pin is damaged, although they do not look damaged. https://photos.app.goo.gl/BjPB25PbZNLy8BGz5. - any advice?

2. The bow shackle actually bent. https://photos.app.goo.gl/qT58kbrmypZg4Yzv5. -- I did not expect that part to fail. The lifeguard (the beach has some of their own hobies) thought it was maybe not screwed in all the way.

I would like to not have this happen again. I ordered some spare bow shackles and used a pliers to bend this one back.' Any advice?

It did feel like my side stays are too loose and its making the mast bounce more than it should, I also was using a somewhat longer clevis pin (1.5") than the one the boat shipped with because i lost the original in the sand. I'm not sure if that contributed.

Post subject: Re: Mast Came Down. Help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mast base looks fine. Mast must have been rotated as it fell.

Shackle is probably still OK to use if it screws in tight. Lifeguard is probably right, it wasn't completely screwed in.

Not unusual for dismasting to result in no injuries, mainsail cushions the drop like a parachute (speaking from experience).

If you want to keep this from happening again, you could use a shackle with a clevis instead of a screw thread. Or you could get a shackle that has a hole in the key so you can wire it to keep it from turning. Bouncy conditions stresses all the connections.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! I was one thread away from this happening to me. The pin for the jib shackle unscrewed itself and was caught on the jib grommet...that's all that was holding up the mast!
My crew grabbed everything and held it as I drove us into irons, then screwed it back in.
I got a shackle with a drilled pin and safety wired it. On reflection, I could have just drilled a hole in the pin.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

good learning lesson, check pins often or secure them better, and save a major pain, thank you for posting!

2020 Getaway