Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a Hobie righting bucket to use with my new second hand 2009 Hobie Getaway. The instructions say to tie it off to the Dolphin Striker. As I understand a dolphin striker to be either cable or rod mounted under the forward crossbar that supports the mast, it would appear that my boat doesn't have one. Where should the bucket be tied off?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thats a tougher one on the Getaway due to the forward tramp. I think you will have to tie it to one end of the crossbar. You could add a small stainless eye in the center.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I attached a snap hook to the bucket's lanyard and snap it to the tramp lacing line just aft of the mast step. I stuff the lanyard and bucket into the pocket on the top of the tramp. During one of my practice knockdowns, I used my Hobie bucket to help me get the boat back up by myself. I adjusted the lanyard's length so that when it was filled with water, with the lanyard led over my shoulder, as I lean back while holding onto the righting line the bucket lifts itself clear of the water adding its weight to mine.

This method does create the need to pull the bag out of the pocket and then to toss it over the hull that is in the air. This can be rather inconvenient to accomplish but it does put the leverage higher so that it helps you more.

'05 Wave