Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Transom Failure
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you're willing to cut a hole on top you'd have easy access...otherwise if you want to use nuts you'll have to bury them in the wood and glue them so they don't turn, right? That's why I was thinking a bunch of stainless wood screws (home depot used to carry them).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

first mockup just finger tight. Need to create a wedge about 7 degrees to straighten out the rudder assembly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great! What material will the final version be made out of? It'll need to be fairly strong and withstand the sun over time unless you keep it covered. Do you plan to add washers to spread out the force?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have some 1/2" pvc board (used in the picture) that im going to use with washers. Pretty stiff stuff. had some on the side of my house for years and hasn't degraded and Can be glued with pvc glue. Alot better than my original 1/16' inch cross linked polyethylene transom that lasted 9 years. I think one of the main reasons it was so thin was the stainless steel backing plate holding the original pintles screws probably blocked the stuff when the hull was spun. the top of the hulls were almost 5 times thicker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

here's my complete mockup. have to get longer screws and source a starboard rudder assembly and upper and lower pintles that I lost offshore when the transom gave way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

zhopper wrote:
here's my complete mockup. have to get longer screws and source a starboard rudder assembly and upper and lower pintles that I lost offshore when the transom gave way.

I saw some for sale on here or craigslist a year ago. I almost bought a boat which was missing EVERYTHING back there (all metal parts and the rudders)due to vandalism, and the parts added up to well over $1000...and a hull with a repaired bullet holes (the glue seemed to be holding fairly well). I ended up passing on it even though they were giving it away via a moving sale done via an estate/auction. My wife vetoed buying it, too scared of the issues.

Funny thing is the area seemed to be near when I bought my H16 (in very good condition) 18 years ago...sure enough, when I got there (100 miles away), it was the same house!!! Getaway was not at all in good shape though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for sharing zhopper...

I just buy a used Getaway from ~2003 and be scared by the stories in this tread. But your experience let me think it'll be possible to do something with the hull if something happen. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hull issues were just the first year (2001) I thought...they extended the warrantee is my recollection and will sell you reduced priced hulls (still expensive), but probably better off fixing them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the precision, but I think I get this year model. The seller said to me he buy it in 2003, but the last two numbers of the SN on the hull are "01" and normally it's suppose to indicate the year model.

However, I trust also the seller about he year of purchase becauseof the size of the slider for the front trampoline who fit with the new size integrate to the model in 2002-2003.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

zhopper - let us know how this fix preforms in the water, it looks great.