Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wing seats
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a used getaway without the wings. Are they worth getting and if so, is the only place to get them from a dealer?

Post subject: Re: wing seats
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I have had our getaway for 3 seasons and did not purchase the wing seats and we do not regret the decision at all. We have thoroughly enjoyed sailing the boat in a wide range of wind conditions with as many as 5 people aboard.

Try your boat out when the spring comes and see what you think, you will always be able to the wings later if you choose. I can understand why some people would like them, but they just aren't for me. I would definitely recommend the trapeze set-up if you don't have that already.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought my getaway used. It had the wing seats already and I have to say they are a nice feature. They provide a nice back rest if you're sitting on one of the hulls or if sitting on the wing seat, they provide you with a higher point of view and keep you a little dryer from wave splash. I've never sailed my getaway without them but I have sailed Hobie 16's without wings and I will never go back. I just don't see a disadvantage to them unless you're racing.

I believe the dealer is the only place to get them but I have seen homemade versions. Aluminum tubing for the supports, C-channel aluminum for the bench and some brackets and bolts and your in business.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love my wing seats, its one of the reasons why I moved from the 16 to the Getaway. The only downside is when the wind picks up and you start to lift a hull the wing on the leeward side digs into the water and really slows the boat down. For me the comfort thing far outweighs the wing digging in part.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wings are great, they are standard on the H17. I've sailed with (H17) and without Bravo, Wave, H14, H16 and Getaway. The wings allow you to get your weight out without trapping. They also make great back rest and side rails. The only draw back, as Roy mentioned, is that you can not do a 'High Fly' without dragging the leeward wing in the water. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got a nice used set if anyone's interested. They could use new covers, but they are complete and usable in their present condition. Email if interested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Never tried this since I am a new Getaway owner, but here is a suggestion: If you are on a long run, maybe you could pin the leeward hull wing in the temporary/storage position? Just a thought...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
I've got a nice used set if anyone's interested. They could use new covers, but they are complete and usable in their present condition. Email if interested.

I want first shot at them please PM me the details and a number to contact you at so we can get the ball rolling on me getting them.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stand by...
Never knew so many people would be interested.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
Stand by...
Never knew so many people would be interested.

Wait, this was my post. i should have the right of first refusal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry but the wings have been sold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

BobCat wrote:
Never tried this since I am a new Getaway owner, but here is a suggestion: If you are on a long run, maybe you could pin the leeward hull wing in the temporary/storage position? Just a thought...

It's not the seat itself that drags in the water but the support bar that attaches to the side of the hull at the end of the center crossbar. It's high up on the side of the hull so it only drags if you're really flying high. Either way, it's always going to drag if you get enough lift whether pinned up or down.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You should be able to lift a hull more if you stow the leeward wing, but it seems like too much hassle to me.

I have wings but I usually use the boat without them, and I also replaced the bolt and nuts with bolts and rings so I can take the wings off or put them on rapidly. I also have two traps and regularly double trap on the getaway.

It really all depends on how you are using the boat. If you want a more thrilling ride and have enough wind at the place you regularly sail to lift a hull (and like lifting a hull), I recommend to try it with no wings and traps. If you want a more comfortable and relaxed ride, or you want to sail with loads of people (6-7), then you should probably have wings.

guillermo