Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake sailing?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I am considering the Getaway for use near home in a lake where sailing is popular, but with day sailers (dinghy style sailboats) and larger cruising type sailboats. I grew up near the beach, and always wanted a Hobie. We still vacation there, so this boat would hopefully work well for us in both locations. Do any of you use your Getaway for lake sailing? Forgive me if its a stupid question, I'm new at this... Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dude, I'm pretty new at this too, but I bought a getaway about 5 months ago and have only had it in a lake. I've only seen daysailors on this lake and i love to see them when they have to reef their sails and they're still heeled over, but I'm hull flying and having fun. I say go for it. You'll love the getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sailboatcaptain, thanks for the info! sounds like you're in a similar situation. I think the Getaway would be far more fun than a daysailer. BTW, I'm a dudette, but not that it matters!!

Post subject: lake sailing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If your new to the cat scene then your much better off on small lakes.
You will appreciate all the help when you broach. You must learn all of the shoreline effects on the wind as soon as practical. Ask the others about the tricky spots before you go too far.

Post subject: Re: Lake sailing?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

beecharmer wrote:
Hi all, I am considering the Getaway for use near home in a lake where sailing is popular, but with day sailers (dinghy style sailboats) and larger cruising type sailboats. I grew up near the beach, and always wanted a Hobie. We still vacation there, so this boat would hopefully work well for us in both locations. Do any of you use your Getaway for lake sailing? Forgive me if its a stupid question, I'm new at this... Thanks in advance!

My Getaway has been only on lakes. It is a great boat for yourself and a few friends. If you have little to no experience with cats, the Getaway is the way to go. Easy to learn on and hard to outgrow. They are also as tough as boats go, so get out there with one and start sailing! Oh, and don't be afraid to flip it over a few times, it is fun, you get wet, and is easy to rite (with a friend).

Scott.

Post subject: Lake Sailing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live on Lake Conroe, TX. 22,000 acres. I started sailing 3 years ago with a Hobie Wave. I recently bought a used Getaway and have sailed it three times. I sail solo most of the time. The first two outings, I flipped it and needed help from a powerboat to get it upright. Since then, I raked the mast back several notches and have used the tarveler in stronger winds. This boat handles great and is substantially faster and rides better than the Wave.

The biggest difference in lake sailing is the wind effect. It changes directions and velocity all over the place. Residences along the shoreline block the winds and when you find an undeveloped parcel between houses, it can create a venturi with a blast of stronger wind. I live off an arm of the lake that is about 1/4 mile wide and about 2.5 miles from the main body of the lake. The wind wraps around points and will keep you on your toes. Otherwise, it is really nice. No salt to deal with, no extra cleanup at the end of the day. If you live on the lake and can launch from your yard, you can be out in a very short time and back in fast too. Except today when the wind suddenly stopped and I ran out of gas! Took a little longer to get in. HA!

I think you will really enjoy lake sailing.

Sincerely, Pete!!!