Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what to get
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have sailed a Wave for about 5 years, and I would like to move up to something a little faster. I am thinking of either a Getaway or a 17 Sport. I sail alone half the time, and with an adult or 1-2 kids otherwise. I like to move along, but don't want to use a trapeze. Can I comfortably sail and right a Getaway or 17 Sport alone like I can with the Wave. I'm on and inland lake, 2 x 3/4 miles, and the boat will be on a lift all summer. Winds usually 10-20 knots. How much faster than a Wave is a Getaway or 17? Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Unless you are a pretty big guy, you will have a hard time to rite a Getaway or a 17 by yourself. I like the Getaway because it was easy to sail (like the wave) and it is much faster. No boom, a seat for your butt, a bob on the top of the mast, and coolers built into the hull are great features. But I guess I am biased since I have been flying hulls with my Getaway for 2 years now. I also have a 16 but I have not sailed it since I got my Getaway. Cheers! :D

Post subject: H17 vs. Getaway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sold my H-17 last year and bought a CL16 dingy (which is now for sale). The H-17 is a fast boat and a great deal of fun. You need a righting bucket (plastic garbage bag works) to pull her over yourself. I found the H-17 is primarily a 1 person boat and becomes bogged down and overlaoded with more than 2 adults. You get very wet with a load.

I bought a new Getaway at the Toronto Boat Show in Jan. Looking for somebody to buy my CL16 to help pay for the Getaway in May.

I agree with the reader aboves comments. Go with a Getaway. From a safety perspective, I like not having to worry about my crew being struck by the boom.
Bob

Post subject: Getaway...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am 165lb and have rited a Getaway by myself. No issues. Same with an H17.

Me personally, I have had an H17se and Getaway. The Getaway is a lot tougher boat and more flexible. The H17 will give you marginally more performace in moderately choppy conditions. In flat conditions an nice wind, the H17 is great. The centerboards are poorly designed, but there are work-a-rounds to keep sand and rocks out of them.

There are better single-hand boats out there than the H17. I'd get a Getaway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been out (solo) on my Getaway 3 times. I flipped it the first two times. Turtled the second time. I was unable to get it over without help from a powerboat. I'm about 210 pounds. What was your trick? My Getaway is used and the righting line is below the trampoline. I was thinking that if it went over the top of the hull, I might have a little more leverage. When it turtled, I couldn't get it on it's side. The first time, I just couldn't get the sail to break clear of the water. Had a good wind. It was frustrating. Am considering buying Rick White's righting system.

I've sailed a Wave the last three years. The Getaway is much faster and rides nicer. I was going to say more stable but, I did flip my Wave the first two times out too. I raked the mast aft on the Wave and before my third outing on the Getaway, I raked the mast aft 5 notches. That seemed to help.

Sincerely, Pete!!!

Post subject: Righting the Getaway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up my brand new Getaway yesterday at Fogh Marine in Toronto and can't wait!
We discussed righting, at length, during training at the dealer. I note that my Getaway has a 3/4 inch elastic bungy style cord at which runs around the bottom of the tramp for righting. I would imagine this bungy can transfer considerable pulling force. I will still pack a garbage bag for extra weight as a righting bucket just in case.

Previous reader talks about turtling. Do you have the Hobie Bob on top of the mast?

Like to hear of other experinces with capsized Getaways.
Bob

Post subject: How to Turtle a Getaway
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The last time I flipped my Getaway, I was starting to fly a hull and wanted to make a correction by heading into the wind. I'm not yet used to using a stick on the tiller (don't have one on the Wave) and as I started to correct, I caught the end of the stick on my life vest. Before I could get it loose, I was doing a slow roll on to my side. I tried to pull myself up on the upwind wing seat but ended up hanging from it. I didn't want to drop on to the sail so hung on for a few seconds. My weight was enough leverage to push the mast float under and the weight of the hull just kept pushing it down. I felt a little stupid at this point. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the boat back on it's side. Several powerboats drove past and even pointed at me before one gentleman stopped and offered assistance. An easy tug and the boat was on it's side again and one more tug and it was upright.

I plan to get all my dumb mistakes out of the way right away. Did the same on my Wave. Then, I'll have a lot of time to fine tune my skills and have more fun. Rick White's book and videos have helped a great deal. Had never sailed before buying my Wave two years ago.

Since my two flips, I have raked the mast back about 5 holes. I have also keep the tiller stick length adjusted short enough as to not catch on my vest. I went out again a couple of days ago. Had excellent speed and no problems keeping the boat flat. It was a weekday and I didn't want to push it too far because there were few boats on the lake. (in case I screwed up again) I really do like the additional speed the Getaway offers over the Wave. The ride is nice too. Although it is more work to sail solo, I believe I will really enjoy it a lot. It will be fun to be able to take more than one crew without being overloaded.

Pete!!!

Post subject: Mast Float sinking
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Mast Float sinking?

Do you have the big float? The very first Getaways had a float like the Wave. The boat now has one more like a AWACS radar. Wider... more volume. Wouldn't normally sink, so I am interested to know which float you have.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

My Wave and Getaway are side-by-side. Both have floats that are the same size. Since I have you on the hook, I'm wondering what I was doing wrong trying to get the boat upright. I had it quartered into the wind. Had a stiff breeze but could not break the sail away from the water surface. I mentioned before that I sail the majority of the time single handed. Would the addition of Rick White's Righting System be a good investment? I do have a nylon water bag and weigh in at about 210. The righting system is over $200 bucks and I think the larger float is around $100.

Sincerely, Pete!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the 80lb. capacity nylon bag, and that plus me = 260#. Plenty to get up my H16 although not as fast as me and someone else. I'm surprised that you're having trouble righting the Getaway with you & a bag. Are you sure your mast isn't taking on water or something? :?

Jim

Post subject: Getting it UP!
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really don't know if my mast is taking on water. I did notice the wing seats drained quite a bit of H2O but didn't even think to look at the mast. I hope to not go over anytime soon but will keep that in mind the next time it happens.

Sincerely, Pete!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Peter B wrote:
Hi Matt,

My Wave and Getaway are side-by-side. Both have floats that are the same size. Since I have you on the hook, I'm wondering what I was doing wrong trying to get the boat upright. I had it quartered into the wind. Had a stiff breeze but could not break the sail away from the water surface.

I am very surprised that you could sink your bob under. On my Getaway, the bob is very bouyant and the mast hardly touches the water at all (except right at the attachment point of the bob). Righting for me is a different story. I am only about 150 soaking wet and can barely get the mast out of the water without a righting bucket. With two people it is a piece of cake. This may be a dumb question but are you unhooking your main sail from the block? When I capsize, I always roll up the jib and unhook the main sail. It makes it easier for me to right it this way.

BTW, when you capsize your boat, don't be afraid to inspect your hulls, mast, and bob before you try to right it. Last summer I noticed my bob was loose and with a closer inspection, I only had one screw left in! The others must have rattled out over the course of the summer. Blue loctite is a must to prevent lost screws.

Cheers,

Scott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rolling your jib might make it tougher, man. I'd just uncleat the jib and main (and traveler) and make sure the boat is turned such that the wind is somewhere between the bows and the mast. (Preferrably closer to the bows.)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Come to think of it, the first time I flipped, I didn't un hook or un cleat either the jib or main sail. The second time, I un cleated the main but did nothing to the jib. Of course, the second time, the boat was upside down. I'm beginning to wonder about the smaller mast float and also about the possibility of the mast taking on water. I'm sure the larger float would be a significant help. Any recommendations on how to check the mast and what to do if it is in fact taking on water?

Sincerely, Pete!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yah bro, pretty easy. Take the mast off the boat (disconnect the shrouds & stuff) carry it over to the lake (mebbe with a buddy) and hold it underwater. See if bubbles come out from anywhere.

If so, take off that side of the mast, pull out whatever plug is in there right now, stuff 2-3" of foam pool noodle in there and lay a bunch of silicone over that. Let it cure and then put the end of the mast back on. :)