Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New purchase
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just ordered a new Getaway. Will pick it up next Friday the 29th. Have been sailing a Bravo all summer. Really excited (nervous) about the getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You are going to like it. I just sailed mine for the first time in about ten knots of wind with my ten year old son. It seems to be just as fast as a 16 but much more manueverable. It is A LOT easier to tack than a 16. And you can drop the main and dock with the jib to slow things down a bit (and avoid power boats at the launch).

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have to agree. I spent a week sailing my new getaway in lake coeur d alene (Idaho). In addition to being very manueverable and fast, it is amazingly stable, even with less beam than the 16. My guess is the increased hull volume is the key.

My only issue is stepping the dang mast. It is pretty difficult to raise with kids. So you might want to consider buying a mast-stepping accessory to make life easier.

It woudl be an awesome improvement if Hobie would make the mast out of carbon fibre rather than aluminum / fiberglass. carbon fibre prices are surely coming down enough....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Unfortunately, there are no easy ways to help with the mast rigging on the Getaway. The mast stepping systems you see in catalogs such as Murray or Hobie's are designed for mast that can be raised without being on their side.

Because of the shape of the mast base, the Getaway mast must be positioned sideways when it is being raised. This means you can't use the headstay to pull the mast up, as it would rotate the mast from its sideways position.

I've been pondering the issue for quite a while, and I'm now considering replacing the two upper rivets from the mast tang (where the top of the headstay and the side stays are attached) with a long eye bolt (with the eye on the side that faces forward when the mast goes up). I need to make sure that this modification would not damage the comp tip (maybe Hobie can comment on this if they see this post), and keep it watertight so that the mast doesn't fill up when going over.

I should then be able to use something like the EZ Step Mast Raiser. I've already added two small eye straps on each of the wing support to rig side stays for the gin pole and prevent the sideways motion of the mast. It might take me a while to get the gumption to drill through the comptip, but I'll let you know when I get the setup debugged.