Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing in CT
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just looking for sailing people in SE CT. I have a Getaway, but really don't see any others around here!

Post subject: Re: Sailing in CT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi there. I'm in Cheshire CT (near waterbury) and I just bought a used Getaway late last summer. Only got out on it 2x before the weather got too cold. I sailed it in a lake near my house but quickly found out the lake it just too small for a getaway plus the launch was not condusive to a sailboat with raised mast. Launched it at the end of Palmerneck rd. in Stonington (I forget the name of the place) and sailed in Little Narraganset bay. That was the best. There's a little strip of sand (island) in the bay where you can drop off the kids and wife and take off sailing while they lounge on the beach and play in the water. My inlaws live in pawcatuck so I will be back many times this summer. I'd love to hook up with another Getaway sailor. Do you have any kids. I have 3 boys (2, 8 and 12).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I too am a relatively new Getaway sailor. Bought a used 2008 last Fall , sailed it many times during the Fall with the wife & kids & had a blast. So far all my sailing has been on fresh water lakes ( Lake Hayward in East Haddam) A great lake but for a Getaway it too gets small fast ( it's about 200 acres) I live in R.I. but right on the CT line near Stonington/Westerly. I plan on sailing the salt ponds and eventually working my way to Narragansett Bay and the area around Sandy Point. Great spots. Would enjoy hooking up with some other Getaway sailors from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome, let's stay in touch. Hopefully it'll be an early Spring!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got out on the Getaway for the first time this season yesterday. Took the day off work and went out to Little Narraganset bay in Stonington. Launched out of Barn Island. Awesome day. 95 degrees at my house in Cheshire but about 85 near the water. Felt a little cooler once I got out on the water. Sailed solo since I couldn't find anyone on short notice to take the day off work with me and the kids are still in school. Took me about an hour to rig up for the first time this season. I made a conscious effort to get the main halyard through the pulley the right way before raising the mast but I still got it wrong and had to lower it again after I had removed all the stepping system rigging already. Also got to test out my home made motor mount for the first time. Works fine but the block that the motor clamps to tends to act as an anchor whenever a way passes under the boat and hits it. A wedge may help deflect the waves at least enough that I won't feel the resistance anymore. Based on the time back and forth between Barn Island Launch and Watch Hill yatch club, I think I was hitting about 12 knots. Felt like I was flying. Wish I had someone who could have taken a picture. Anyway, I made it around sandy pt on the inland side and over to Stonington Harbor and then over to the point that sticks out on the RI side (not sure the name). Sailed all the way up Pawcatuck river and had to motor out due to the head wind and not enough width to tac out. Sailed for about 4 hours before calling it a day. Can't wait to do it again. Have any of you guys in CT/RI been out yet?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

UGh! May have a buyer for my Getaway....I hate to part with it. Many fond memories!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bri or Rich - you guys still poke around in here ever? Been watching hobie videos and thinking about spring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Still around...but no boat.
Let me know if you're looking for ballast!

I'm down around waterford/old lyme.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bri

Ever flip your cat when you had it? Made it through my first season last summer without flipping but had a couple close calls. Figure I should practice in a controlled situation to make sure I know what I'm doing when it's really blowing and can right it solo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yea, flipped a handful of times. I had the getaway, so it was very difficult to right solo in big winds. I had help from a powerboat two times before I could get it right. In calmer winds I could do it solo.
What cat do you have?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the getaway. I have a righting bucket so hopefully I can use that to help me. I heard standing on the bow helps turn the boat the right way so the wind can get under the sails and help right it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Brian,

Yes, still around.....didnt get out much last Fall like I had hoped. The snow is finally starting to melt away from the Getaway so I will look forward to getting back out again. I buily a new/better trailer over the winter that is almost complete.

Once we get closer to Spring we will have to try to meet at the Sandy Point launch before I eventually haul the Hobie to the lake.

Best Wishes for a fast & warm Spring

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To righten the boat the most important thing is to turn it into the "power righting position". That is the wind hitting at 45 degrees from the bow towards the mast. I found out in the getaway it doesn't help much to stand on the bow... I usually have to physically swim the bow towards the correct position.

If you get to put it in the position, it should be very easy to righten the boat solo with high winds..... the more wind you have, the easier the boat will come up (that is if you were able to point the boat in the right direction, which is the most difficult part in high winds). I did a few tests in high winds and found out that even if you have 2 people is not worth trying to right the boat from the beginning. First have the two people turning the boat into the right position, and then start thinking about the righting line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pulled my boat out of the fenced back yard yesterday (still covered). Spent the last couple weekends re-building my trailer suspension/axle. Broke a leaf last fall while putting it away for the winter and ended up bending the axle too. All fixed now. Bought new standing rigging for this year and a trap wire and harness. Can't wait for some warmer weather.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keith,

It wont be long now.....soon enough I'll start lacing the tramps back up.

You'll love the trap harness....even though I dont have one, I have hung off of others.

Hope to get together w/ ya in Lil Narragansett Bay soon