Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Found a 2006 Getaway on craigslist for and I plan on picking it up this weekend. Other than the rudder holders are there other important things to look for on the Getaway that could be a problem?

I have a 1983 Hobie 16 that I go out on almost every weekend. Love it but when there are more than two people as you know it just does not work. So I need to sell the 16.

I also have a G-Cat 5.7 but probably will sell that one too.

Would appreciate and suggestions.

Thank you.

Matthew

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check the comp tip of the mast to make sure there isn't any major damage.
Check the condition of the gaskets around the coolers/hatches. They can easily be replaced, but a bit pricey.
Check the condition of the sails, especially the jib. The jib furls and can wear out fast.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Do all of the Getaways come with Comp Tip masts? From what I have read the two parts can separate.

Thank you for the inspection points.

Matthew

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As far as I know, yes.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look closely at the hulls where the crossbeams go through. Look for cracks in them. If this is a boat where water freezes in winter, check for signs of expansion damage in the hulls or mast, crossbeams, or anything that might hold water and then freeze.

Check the skegs for straightness and dents.

That old, you will have to expect to replace the tramps and sails and maybe the covers on the wings so consider that in your pricing offer. Of course, if the boat was stored indoors that may not be so.

Ask if it was kept under a tarp-if not, expect to replace the main halyard and mainsheet and jib sheets.

You will probably have to lube the swivel and furler for the jib.

Getaway is a really simple boat, not much can go wrong with it.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, definitely check out how the rudder assembly functions...that was the main issue that I had when I purchased my used 2006 Getaway. Mine has the pre EZ lock system and the cams were sticking. Good articles on this site about rehabbing and maintaining assembly...do a search on the forum. Keep the parts well lubricated and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 2006 Getaway and bought it new, as I am in central Canada my sailing season is short, about 12/14 weeks. The boat is put into a portable garage for the winter, I have had the com tip come lose and noticed this year that the front tramp is ripped and is going to need replacing. Other than that the boat has been solid, I did have lots of trouble with the rudders when the boat was new with some crazy windward pull but I have had to reshape the rudders (lots of info on this form about it) and it has been fine since. Good luck with the boat, coming from my 16 I did notice it was a tad bit slower but the comfort and that fact that I could take 3 passengers without sinking the boat make up for it.