Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2001 getaway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all, I have been hanging around on the Wave section the past few years and am looking at a getaway now. I have seen several 2001 boats on the market, is there anything different about those boats than the current model? Also how hard is it to pull the wings off, and then get them back on? I have read that some find the boat better in high winds without the wings, but they are nice for a family cruise.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 2001 getaway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not a lot has changed, the new rudder system is much more simple and easier to use. As far as taking off the seats there are only 4 bolts on each side you need to remove, a cordless drill and a cresent wrench you could have both seats off in a matter of minutes. I have a 2006, that was the first year for the new rudders, which have been for the most part trouble free. I wish they would put jib tracks on the getaway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info. I have been debating about moving up to the Getaway because the Wave is such an easy boat to rig and a blast in heavy air. I think the Getaway will be a little more to rig but it sounds like from other posts here that it can be rigged solo.

Have any of you sailed it with just the main in heavy air to reduce sail area when sailing solo?

Thanks,

Mark White

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No I have never tried to furl the jib and sail with just the main. The Jib is fairly small, unlike the 16 jib which is much larger, so in a big blow I let out the traveller on the main and sheet in only as much as I need to without out the boat wanting to go over. But I leave the jib set in the optimum spot. It does take a little longer to set up than the wave but its a great all round boat which you can easily sail single handed or stick a bunch of people on her and have a blast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just sailed with no jib (wind was high and my 8 year old was tired/afraid/unhappy). Coming about was rougher than usual (no jib to back), so finally just jibed. No other trouble without it. Wind was 28-35 knots then, according to the buoy records. Dropped him off at the beach with my wife, and my daughter and I unfurled the jib and had a blast. Didn't feel that different.

Wings hit the water and slow you down a bit as you heel over, but the spray is not as bad or constant as the downwind stay from a Hobie 16 in the same weather. Overall, I like the wings, as they make the boat feel bigger/safer for newbie families we take onboard, and haven't taken them off in heavier weather, though tools are kept with the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All my experience is in light to moderate wind, so your mileage may vary. I find that the wings are great to push back against, sitting on the hulls and using the hiking straps. I don't bother taking them off at any time so far.
As far as dropping the jib, I had the same thought as you did about starting without it. I quickly found that in light wind, it is essential to tacking as others have described. It is almost undersized in my view for light winds, so going without it is just that much more painful.
I too wish for jib tracks - I have seriously considered adding a set of turning blocks at the forward wing struts to allow more range of movement and control of the jib foot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I find the getaway doesn't go upwind very well to begin with...loosing the jib just makes the problem a lot worse. Tacking without the jib is difficult as well...I found when tacking without the jib its best to not sheet in tight as you turn through the wind...sheeting tight just made the boat weather vane faster, and with it loose it turned through the wind a lot quicker it also helps to roll tack in all situations and try to stay on the the very aft corner of the boat as long as possible while tacking