Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Getaway set up?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everybody, I'm planning to buy a new getaway and have it shipped to the Bahamas for some camping expeditions. Can anyone give me any tips of extra things I may need for the boat when I first set it up or any problems etc? Currently I have a hobie 16 and have camped on her wondering if anyone has experience of camping the getaway? :D

Post subject: Re: New Getaway set up?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have got a tarpaulin and a wooden pole that I fit into the mast track and pull it up with the halyard until the tarp is tensioned-not very good at this stage as the mast rake means that the front 3oomm of the trampoline is not covered by the tarp.
If you want the tarp to go over the wing seats you have the side stays in the way.
I saw a photo of a Hobie 16 with a tent setup on the trampoline-that looked good-a bit hot in summer tho where an open sided tarp has advantages.
I have a 60 litre barrel for keeping my gear(sleeping bag etc ) dry.

My Getaway is an older one 2003 and I am seriously considering a wooden floor to replace the main trampoline.Sure it is heavier but a lot easier to set up for camping etc.
I am still in the learning stage with using the boat for camping-keep in touch.
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tarp idea Peter I think we re gonna go with tents on the beach though. In all we're planning to have 4 or 5 getaways and a 31 foot wharram catamaran carrying our supplies and we'd be just camping on the beaches but what I was wondering is whether anyone can give me any advice about what I have to watch out for with the getaways? What can break? does break? etc etc
As we will be in the Bahamas and out in the wilds it would be a real pain to have stuff break and not have a replacement but at the same time carrying every part would be difficult so yeah any general advice with the set up, do's and don'ts would be most welcome
:) Gary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my Getaway since 06 and have not had any failures to date. Logic would indicate some d-rings, pins and ring a ding things. Also a 50' chunk of very strong but small diameter line that could have a hundred uses to make emergency repairs. Marine radio, GPS, and a small hand held compass would be obvious things. A small sail mending kit might be good. I'm sure others will have more advise than me as I have never had such an adventure. Still sounds like fun. Take some meds with you too as you never know what you might run into. Since you have a support boat you might take a spare shroud with you. I've always worried about the plastic housing that keeps the rudder in place, I have never broken one but I wonder how much punishment they would take before breaking, as there are so many things to run into or catch a rudder on. Good luck, I wish I was coming with you.