Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Would love to know how hulls are attached, just friction? and tramp lacing? Only bolts I see are for the foremost crossbar. Seems to be play in hull to crossbar connection of about 1/4 inch. Have not found detail of crossbar end caps internal connection. The boat is stiff when strapped down going to weather, A little wobble on a broad reach, being a 2003 is there a bolt arrangement inside crossbar that needs tightening? How many lbs to right the Getaway? Will 200lbs do it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Basically the tramp lacing, and up forward there are 2 screws. It's really the tramps though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought it was a poor way to secure the hulls together, that being said i have not heard anywhere of boats coming apart because of the tramp failing. It might take a few more years for this to start showing up. Personally I would have liked to see a more robust method of attaching the tramp rails to the hulls as I have heard of several instances of the rail pulling out of the hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, you also have to consider the forces involved while sailing. The windward hull is attached to a shroud. The shroud has tension, and therefore the horizontal component of this force is trying to push the hull into the crossbar. Also, the leeward hull is the one that offers the most sideways resistance to the water (i.e. all the other parts of the boat are being pushed to leeward by the sail but the leeward hull doesn't let them). So I don't think you have to worry too much about the boat coming apart while sailing even if the tramp breaks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course you are right, It doesn't change the fact that as time goes by we will see more failures of the tramp rail, especially with large families where there is a larger load on the tramp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's true. I have seen those reports also, though I still haven't seen that in boats around the area I sail at.
Still, seems that the rail needs some kind of backing plate, though maybe because the way the hull is built it doesn't seem likely that a backing plate is a viable solution.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

not too worried about tramp rail, if you think about how far the load is distributed , and about other applications such as the jib track on other hobies where the amount of force is way greater than any ever being applied on the Getaway tramp rail. Still need to know the amount of weight to right the Getaway, any clues?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 218 and in a 20mph wind i couldn't get the boat back up. As a matter of fact with all that wind blowing on tramp i couldn't swing the bow around into the wind. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I few weeks ago me (165 pounds) and a 100 pound kid were able to righten the boat with 20 mph wind (maybe a little more). You got to put it in the right power righting position though (wind at 45 degree angle from bow and mast). To turn the boat don't try to swim pushing it, you'll just get tired. I dragged myself a little on the stern of the boat and then played with my weight on the hull until the boat turned to the position I wanted. I have also been able to righten it by myself with 25 mph wind. Actually if you put it in the right position, with good wind, the boat will almost righten by itself.
Also you can set up a rigthing pole (see post called "interesting photos" or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, glad to know the Getaway acts like other Hobies when positioning the boat to right it. Never did swim one around, takes too long and too much time if you are racing. Sounds like at 200 lbs and a 10+ gallon water sack ( @8lbs a gallon ) I should be ok. Can't see boat going over in under 20 knts. Thanks for the info. What ever happen to "Have a Hobie Day" stickers? When I was at a dealer in Texas,(who by the way did an excellent job making last minute items avaliable even after hours- KO Sailing ), I could not find any.