Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tiller end caps
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello everyone:
I have been looking at the tiller end caps (with hole) on my boat, which from what I have seen in other boats, are supposed to rotate freely in other to accomodate different rudder positions without causing undue stress on the joints.
In my boat it is very difficult to turn the end caps in the tiller. That ended up causing the bolt (I have 07 style tiller joint) to unthread and maybe damage a little bit the other endcap. I tried to loosen up the end cap but it has been very difficult. Any suggestion? Should I take everything apart and clean it out. I'm not even sure of how that part is in the inside (where does the rotation takes place?). If somebosy has a picture of that part taken apart it might help me see what I am dealing with.

thanks!

guillermo

Post subject: Re: tiller end caps
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Should be a rivet that spins in a groove. You would have to remove the rivet that is about 1 1/2" in on the tiller arm. Likely the part is corroded or the rivet is deformed in the slot.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: tiller end caps
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I drilled the rivet and took the part out. Amazingly enough, by naked eye I could easily see that the part itself (it is plastic) had a larger diameter than the replacement part I bought. I measured it and the diameter of the end cap is about 0.4 mm (about 1/50 of an inch) larger than the spare part. I really have no logical explanation for this; I remember the part being a little tight when we bought the boat in July 2009 (when trying to turn it, it was a little hard), but as I explained above the part had been extremely tight lately. It seems like end ca[ has gotten bigger from before, but being plastic I find that hard to believe. Does anyone have any reasonable explanation? Do the tiller end caps used to bigger in diameter a year ago? Not only that, but the old part is also about 1 mm longer.
Old part is 23.7 mm in diameter and spare part is 23.3 mm in diameter. new part works great.