Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a video of Eco-friendly Hobie Getaway Wakeboarding I took last weekend.
I'm sure its been done other times, but I can't find many videos of it.
The wakeboarder start right from the water; no special platforms or boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP9n7yx4NZQ

Guillermo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guillermo

That is really cool. My local hobie dealer tells me he uses his getaway to tow his kids on a stand up paddleboard. How much wind do you need to get the boarder up? Are you using a kite-board or a wake board? Does anyone else out there have experiences to share?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Getting the boarder up was a little tough. We had about 15 knots average, with a light kiteboarder (135 pounds). Though for the start you probably need an good 18 knot gust.... we also had an 165 pound kiteboarder, you probably need about 20-22 knot gust to get him up.. once up you can keep them up with a lot less wind...
We were using a kitesurfing board. This was not a planned event, we actually decided on the spot about trying it so we picked up a kiteboard (wakeboard style) we had (we kitesurf there). It's probably a lot easier do get up with a bigger board (like a kitesurfing directional board).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a 5"10 surfboard snapped in half for six pounds last year, glassed it together and glassed a rope through it so its attached to a tow rope from underneath and has a handle on top to hold on to (cos its for my kids, adults can just hold a ski rope). My 5 year old and 8 year old have been "waterskiing" on it all summer behind my hobie 16 and loved it. With the kids it barely slows the boat down especially once its full on planing. I've used small windsurfers and surfboards behind speedboats down to about 15 hp I think, and I think to pull an adult on a hobie the ideal would be a suitable sized surfboard, i.e. between 6 and 8 foot, if you start lying down and then step up to your feet like a surfer then it doesnt need so much force to get started and I reckon 15 knots d be enough if not less. remember if you really turn hard on the board it slows the boat a lot so you need a fair bit of power :twisted: The more floatation you have the easier the take off. Definately recommend it :D the kids absolutely love it :)