Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Wheel Bearings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On my previous trailers (without Bearing Buddies) I would re-pack the bearings every few years. I'm wondering what to do with my present trailer (with Bearing Buddies). Since the grease is being replaced so the bearings can't dry out over time should they still be checked/re-packed occasionally? If so what interval would be appropriate?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bearing Buddies are a nice idea, but care must be taken so as not to blow out the rear seal. Overfilling by not stopping once the moving outer plate hits the stop can blow out the rear seal. You really do not need to pack the hub full of grease. These grease caps can give you the illusion that everything is fine, but the bearings may be shot. I'd check the bearings at the beginning of every season. Bearing Buddies don't replace lost grease, they simply shove old grease to the rear. Pull the bearings and check the races and bearings for nicks or discoloration. For the cost of the seal, I'd replace them every time you pull the hub, a cut in the seal will lose a lot of grease in a short time. Nothing worse than being stranded on a Sunday evening 100 miles from your destination.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the info. Where would I get new seals, and how would I know what brand and size to buy? Is it just a matter of taking the old one in and trying to match it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The seals have a number stamped on them as does the bearings. Any decent auto parts store (Advanced Auto Parts, NAPA, etc.) would gave them. Brand doesn't matter much, but more than likely they are National seals. If not, they can cross reference your old seal.