Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone ever done this without a set of cat trax? I've never pulled my boat more than 3/4 of its length out of the water. I ordered a pair, now they're saying they won't have them in time. I'll have to pull the boat across about 50 feet of sand for the week until they come. Unless they find me a set to use until then. Boat comes this Saturday and they're saying next week now for the cat trax. Plus the Hobie Dealer is 60 miles away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The getaway is a handful to pull across the sand, four good men to pull it that far. If you know a plumber you could borrow a few lengths of 6" poly tubing as you pull the boat along take the one that comes out the back and put it back under the front?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think I'm just going to push the delivery of the boat back to next weekend unfortunately....just seems to be the easiest solution.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just moved my Getaway across sand last weekend. 3 10 foot lengths of 3 inch PVC did the trick. wouldn't want to do it every day, but worked with the help of my wife and 15 year old son.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Was going to say PVC as well. On Oneida lake, we used to build ramps out of wood and PVC for pulling the boats (H16) onto to shore. I don't own a Hobie anymore though. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been pulling my Getaway across the sand for the past 3 years. About 100' or more each way, depending on the tides. It is difficult to do it by myself, but it can be done. The real problem is it is slightly uphill too. If the wind is right, I adjust the sails and kind of sail, pull, steer it up the hill. Be very careful doing that, a gust can flip you over on the beach. It hasn't happened, but I have flown a hull, so to speak, until I could sheet out. I made the rollers out of PVC years ago, but figure by the time I go to the car to get them I can have it dragged up the beach. I think I used them twice. It is a real PITA to do by yourself though. Lately I've been using my ability to move it by myself as a measure of my overall conditioning. It seems to be harder every year. It's winning.

If your question is, will it hurt the boat to be dragged over the sand? I don't think so. Those hulls are tough. Drag away.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is a hotel here in Malaysia that has 1 Getaway and 2 Waves that guests can use free of charge. Each day they are dragged by a sand tractor about 150 ft to and from the beach. Fortunately there are no sharp stones on the beach but they come under heavy use but the hulls/keels are still going strong.