Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway or 21 SC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can get a nice 21 SC used for about 8500 or a new Getaway for somewhat less. For a family of 5 (ages 5, 9, 10, and 2 adults) which do you think would be the better way to go?. We are pretty much limited to medium sized lakes here in Idaho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great! Another sailor in Idaho Wooo Hooo!! I'm not sure where you are in Idaho, but both the Getaway and the 21SC are good choices. Are you planning on taking everyone on the boat at once? Also, are you planning on sailing it alone at times?

One thing to take into consideration is the weight of the boat. A 21SC comes in around 600 lbs, whereas a Getaway is about 390 lbs......a pretty significant difference. It makes a difference when trailering and when moving it on the beach as well.

Good to know there are more cat sailors around. Our cat fleet within the Southern Idaho Sailing Association (SISA) is growing and we hope to do races and fun sails next year. Hopefully we'll see each other on the water.

Kip
H18
Boise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I personally have a Getaway and a 16 that I sail frequently so I may be biased. The real question you have to ask yourself is, what are you planning to do with the boat? Is it for casual sailing with family and friends? Also, are you able to leave the boat on the beach? Will there be times where you will be sailing solo? Have you sailed a hobie before? These are important questions you will need to answer before you decide. The Getaway is small, light, and easy to manage by yourself. The boat takes about 5 min to rig. If you have the family in mind, the Getaway can be easily righted with 2 people or +180lbs. It will also accomodate 4 people easily (heavier winds perfered) with about 900 pounds onboard max.

The 21 is an impressive boat, especially if you can get it at a good price. It is big and fast! It is nice with a lot of great features (front tramp, coolers, wings, roller jib, mast bob) like the Getaway. You can also invite the whole neighborhood on it too. The only problem I would see would be its size and weight. I don't believe you will be able to right it by yourself and may be tough even with you and your children. The boom may be a minor concern, nothing like getting konked on the noggin if you're not paying attention.

The Getaway is a very easy boat to sail, period. The 21 is bigger, roomier, and more impressive, but may be more difficult to handle on and off the lake.

I hope I have helped in some way. One thing is for sure, you better hurry up and decide. Summer is almost over!! :( :lol:

let us know what you decide.