Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My request for a quote has been sent to Wind & Water Boatworks in Butler PA, for a new Getaway, so as soon as we agree on a price the order will go in.

A couple of questions that have occurred to me about owning and sailing a Getaway:

1. Registration numbers: are they easy to put on a Getaway? Do they stay put? Ohio registration requires a big trail of stickers on each side of the bow (or on the outside of the hulls).

2. Safety (upper body) harness and tether - has anyone tried using these with a Hobie? I have one for when I charter BSBs (big slow bathtubs) here on Lake Erie, because there aren't many experienced sailors in Ohio and I suppose I'm trying to change that by taking newbies out. So I'm paranoid about going overboard accidentally and watching a panicking crew sail into oblivion. Seems like a harness and tether would be at least as safe as being in a trapeze in a capsize. I'm 220 lbs and 6' 3" and make a pretty good sea anchor, so the tether would seem to prevent a trampoline-powered capsized Getaway from, ahem, getting away?

Thanks for any information and experience.

Don in Ohio

2011 Getaway "Happy Couple"

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if you don't mind me asking, how much does a new getaway cost?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On the tether idea: many experienced cat sailors carry a knife that can be used to extricate themselves from a tangle of sheets or a caught life jacket / harness / etc in the event of the unexpected. Anecdotal evidence suggests that in conditions strong enough to cause seperation from a boat, it is virtually impossible to drag yourself back out of the water while being pulled by the boat under sail (I recall several stories of folks getting towed while holding onto the mainsheet). If you are young, light, strong, and fresh, maybe.

This doesn't answer your question, but I could forsee a decent probability of needing a rigging knife in a hurry in order to cut a tether while trapped under a capsized cat...in the event the release didn't release.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23406
If the link doesn't work search the Getaway forum for "hobie safety lessons learned". I think the consensus is that a tether is a bad idea, and that an overturned Getaway moves faster than you can. You and the crew need to hold on when you go over. If you have the tiller and main sheet in hand, you are unlikely to fall off while sailing and should be able to hold on in a capsize. Warn your new crew member that if you do capsize and they get seperated from the boat not to panic and enjoy the swim until you can get back to them.

Registration decals stick just fine. The problem is removing them.

I suggest you upgrade right from the start to a Harken mainsheet block. It is much easier for a new cat sailor to cleat and uncleat. Failure to let the main sheet out in a puff, is one of the most likely ways for a new cat sailor to get to go for an unplanned swim.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to both of you for the info on the tether.

Bob, thanks for the info on decals and the Harken block. The stock block on the resort Getaway I sailed this spring was surprisingly hard to use for a boat that's supposed to be easy to sail - I wondered if there was an adjustable option. Is this the Harken 2 1/4 block upgrade that Hobie offers? Do you recommend upgrading the upper and lower blocks, or just the lower?

Thanks,

Don

2011 Getaway "Happy Couple"

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hi, I would not suggest a harness and tether.
I have also used these sailing offshore races, etc.
on big boats clipped into jacklines
however on a cat you need to move around more
and depending on how you set up your getaway,
trapeze or not, wings. I did once fall off a rented
H-16 and my non sailing wife to be sailed off
towards bridge. did catch up to her later. bay
wasn't too deep either. so it's possible. tramps on
getaway a bit slippery, proper footwear.. and caution
is best bet

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am also interested in the Harken Block upgrade. Which one is it?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Getaway mainsheet block system upgrade information.
IMO change out the whole system, upper and lower.

Mat help us out on the part numbers.

They seem to be part number H194 for the lower block and H227 for the upper block. The upper block is a double with a becket.

The related Harken web site part numbers seem to be part number 193 for a "Hexa Cat base" and part number 004 for a "block double with becket".

I would definetly work with a Hobie dealer to be sure you get the right stuff.