Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New getaway problems
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just picked up my 2006 getaway on Friday and sailed it this weekend, I like the boat a lot even thought it’s a little slower than my 16 was but very comfortable to sail. Anyway two problems that came up 1) with lots of pressure on the mail sheet the jam cleat comes up to much making it impossible to cleat the main sheet. Since the dealer installed the blocks I undid all the mainsheet line and reinstalled it according to the manual. Same result, any solutions?
2) The new rudder system does not allow for any rake on the rudders is there anyway to rake the mast back without causing so much helm load?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same camcleat problem on the main sheet the angle is adjustable, at least it was on a 2005. And the rudder rake was adjustable too. Matt did somthing change?

Post subject: Adjustments
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:08 am 
Site Admin

The blocks have an adjustment system built in. Takes an allen wrench.

The rudders are no longer adjustable with the new EZ Loc rudders. Rake is pre set. I have not heard anyone suggest that rake adjustment is needed. If you do... you may be able shim the pintles.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an 06 and no rake is needed for my rudders. I have the mast raked as far back as it will go on the standard rig. I wonder with the new rudder system how long it will last until it starts kicking up by itself? I also wonder how much drag is created by the plastic casting that holds the rudder, it seems to drag a lot of water. I've also broken one of the tendons on the rudder crossbar. Although the new system is much lighter and requires less parts I prefer the simplicity of the old rudder crossbar attachment and how smooth those rudders and housing are in the water. Don't miss the cam at all though.

Post subject: 06
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

That is good to hear (about the rudders balanced).

Tendon - We have re-designed the tiller connection for these boats. Should be available in the fall. Will be a modified version of the Miracle 20 connection system.

Casting drag? Should be similar to the originals. Most of the housing is clear of the water. The new one is thicker though. Maybe move forward if the transoms are dragging that much. It is not a 16!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, another question about the new rudder system, if I try to lock the rudder in the up position the steel bracket attached to the tiller handle prevents the rudder from coming all the way up. Is there as easy fix for this or do I need to do some grinding on the pintles? Also with the new rudder system do we have to worry so much about pulling screws out of the transom? -- Roy

Post subject: EZ Loc rudders
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

You still have the same loads on the gudgeon screws.

There are some new EZ Loc rudders out with the problem where the tiller arm hits the pintle. This prohibits the rudder from coming all the way up. There is a simple fix. Grind away more material (Aluminium) on the end of the tiller where it hits the pintle. The dealer can do it under warranty.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)