Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone out there using a Cheata mount on their Getaway? Can you send me some pics to [email protected] ? What are your experiences with mounting it and performance? Etc...

Thanks

Ed Walsh

Post subject: Getaway Motor Mount
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry Website pictures no longer exist for some reason, will try and re-post later.

Pictures of my Getaway with mount at http://www.davidzimmer.com/vacation2005.htm, Got one, Use it Often, Love it and easy to mount and use.

Post subject: Cheata Motor Mount
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just bought a Cheata Motor Mount for my Getaway, but I'm having doubts as I plan the installation.

The instructions go into lots of warning about making sure that the bracket is correctly positionned, when in fact there is very little latitude in for-aft position for it.

Moreover, the SS backing plate for the main blocks prevents the bottom bracket from hugging the crossbar. Either I have the wrong bracket (but it says Getaway on it), or it's a cheap implementation (which it is not at $400!) or this was poorly designed.

I haven't drilled any holes yet, but when I sighted them to check alignment, I found that the holes in the top and bottom brackets had no way to align (there is as little latitude for positionning of the top brackets as there is for the bottom one).

So, is this really a cheap (I wish) design, or did I get the wrong parts? Has anyone seen the same problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a 2005 Getaway last year that came with a Cheata motor mount and a 2hp Honda outboard. I have been very pleased with both. The motor allows you to launch from places you would normally skip because you can motor in and out of canals and tight areas. Even at idle speed, the motor moves the Getaway along very nicely.

I lock the motor down and steer with the rudders. The balance of the boat is better that way. The motor spins 360 degrees, so it's easy to go backwards by just turning the motor around. And yes, I have turned the boat over with the motor on it. Didn't seem to be a problem. Just righted the boat and kept on sailing.

I would never have purchased the motor or the mount if they hadn't come on the boat - they seem expensive. But once you have them and use them, it really makes things nice. The motor expands how and where you can use your Getaway. I'm love mine.

Post subject: Bracket
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

I would assume that you are trying to mount in the center. You need to mount to one side.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I thought of moving the mount slightly off center to avoid the SS plate of the Main's blocks, but this didn't solve the fact that the holes in the top and bottom brackets won't line up.

The bottom part of the bracket must be placed veery close to the rear slot in the cross bar (in order for the tube to be approximately horizontal). From this position, the mounting bolts are approximately vertical.

And the top bracket extends from the slot all the way to the traveler track. And from this position the holes for the mounting bolts point toward the bow at an angle of about 30 degrees. I even tried with the thicker end of the top bracket toward the traveller, but this didn't make much of a difference in the angle of the pre-drilled hole.

I couldn't find a web site for Cheata to ask them for details.

Post subject: Contact
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ed:

I did some surfing for you. Try these:

[email protected]

Cheata Outboard Motor Brackets

PO Box 1234
Hobe Sound, FL 33475
tel 407-746-0479

Manufactures outboard motor brackets that fit beach cats. Propels to speed in excess of 6 knots using only a 1.2 HP outboard -- Provides safe, sure momentum against currents -- Makes docking easy when winds are becalmed -- Motor and bracket weigh less than 17 lbs -- Install in minutes -- Removes in seconds for racing -- Both sailing and motoring positions clear the boom and tiller.

I don't know if they are any good anymore, but you can try. Try our website some time www.tcdyc.com I am Hobie17 there PM me with user name if you join.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17 # 007
Sunfish
Soon to be Mystere 4.3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the info Doug. I emailed Cheata at the address you provided. I'll share their response when I get it.

I'm looking forward to getting this installed as we often get no wind situations in the evenings in the Puget Sound!

Happy Sailing,
Xavier